Thread: Monti Eating Nudibranch - looking for a KMnO4 source

Super Moderator

Monti Eating Nudibranch - looking for a KMnO4 source

Well, I noticed some receding tissue on one of my montis tonight: closer look showed it was being nibbled away by a little troupe of nudibranches Click here to enlarge. I have read that Potassium Permanganate will kill these buggers and their eggs. Anyone know where I can buy some locally (Valley to HRM)?

ECAS member

Bebbington Industries
    44 Wright Avenue, Burnside Park,
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia B3B 1G6
    Telephone: (902) 468-8180

Potassium Permanganate
    AWWA Approved
    1 Kg $24.95
    5 Kg $73.95
    |Discus|Angelfish|Cardinal Tetras|
    "When in doubt, do a water change."

Super Moderator

Thank you! I did a Coral RX dip to kill the adults... adults very much alive after, so I plucked the ones I could see off and scraped off any eggs I could find. I guess I know how they got in if they can survive the dip. All the montis are now in my 10g QT.

Club Supporter

IMHO coral dips don't seem to kill very many things. It tends to "knock" things off the corals (which is great) but I have seen lots of creepy crawlies survive extended dips of over an hour with recommended dosage (no coral in there of course). I have had better luck with revive dip, but that could just be a coincidence.

A lot of US reefers are using a bayer insect killer, I think it's called bayer advanced complete insect killer. It's not available in Canada, but it seems as though a high percentage of reefers have begun using it.

http://www.reefdup.com/2012/09/02/bayer-coral-dip/

Super Moderator

Weird news:

I have been manually removing any I see from the montis, and as I began my morning inspection I spotted one. I was just about to tweezer the little bugger when my new male Mandarin slurped it up! He chewed it for a while, and I thought he would probably spit it out, but no, he ate it. I could have kisses him if it wouldn't, you know, kill him. I hope he keeps it up!

The massive population explosion of them is certainly reduced. That was the only one I saw this morning. However, a couple of the montis were already hit pretty hard. They seem to really like the caps, so my red, green, and blue are in very sad states... especially the blue which was just a very small frag. They also got at the Undata, but it is big and seems to be recovering. They did a bit of a number on the Rainbow too, but it was looking better this morning.