Thread: Fluke worms

ECAS member

Fluke worms

I had them once I cleaned my whole tank and had no more but if I get them again cause someone told me the pet stores are having a major issue with them and if go buy fish how can I treat the fish for this parasite without costing a lot

ECAS member

My only knowledge about flukes is with discus. There are a few options - formalin, flubenzadole, salt or Potassium Permanganate dips and praziquental (sorry about spelling). I've treated my discus for flukes using Prazi, it's highly recommended but takes a long time (21+ days).
    If you suspect flukes when you purchase the fish, you could quarantine it in a small tank, so you only need a small amount of medication before adding it to your main tank.
    |Discus|Angelfish|Cardinal Tetras|
    "When in doubt, do a water change."

ECAS member

Thanks for the info I don't want them again

ECAS member

why do I get the feeling that you guys are talking about different things...cleaning a tank would not get rid of flukes
    5000 gallon koi pond, 2500 & 750 gallon holding tanks,

Official ECAS vendor

Graham is right. Flukes are an internal parasite, so draining and cleaning the tank wouldn't correct the issue. We recommend Praziquantel (Prazi-Pro) for treating Flukes at the shop. It works well, especially paired with a good quarantine policy. Freshwater dips can help, but its really quite stressful on the fish, and you would have to do many fw dips on the fish, which is already stressed out. When you cut corners trying to keep parasites out, they will come in where your shortcuts fall flat. That's why quarantine is so important.

ECAS member

Ok then if it's not flukes I had small worm like string things climbing my tank walls their small and white so I talked to a pet store and they told me to clean my whole tank and since I've done that I had no more of those wormy creatures

ECAS member

They were planaria or some other type of round worm, not flukes. When these guys show up theres too much organics in the tank....the tank is dirty. It has nothing to do with the store, its your housekeeping.
    5000 gallon koi pond, 2500 & 750 gallon holding tanks,

ECAS member

Ok thank you for letting me know it's under control now I'll have to do more changes then to my tank

Super Moderator

I agree its planetia , they harmless but annoying when populations get out of control.

WC's will not have any effect on ( except for the few free swimmers that get sucked out . Cleaning helps because they feed on uneaten food or other debris that are building up somewhere in the tank or filter. WC will treat nitrate increases that isnt the cause of the problem.

Make sure not to overfeed and look for places in the tank where debris and uneaten food might be settling and need regular cleaning. If you find none then its gotta be the filter that has buildup and needs cleaning more frequently.

hope that helps !

ECAS member

Thanks but whatever it was also killed off all my guppies so I cleaned the tank and waited a few days before I added my new fish which are tetras and Plecos and there doing great

ECAS member

Planaria won't hurt your fish, I think it's a coincidence that it happened at the same time. Glad the new fish are doing great!
    |Discus|Angelfish|Cardinal Tetras|
    "When in doubt, do a water change."