Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jebao RW-8 First Impressions

Club Supporter

Jebao RW-8 First Impressions

So today I received my dual set of Jebao RW-8 powerheads.

When I started my tank 2 years ago, I went with hydor koralias. Great pump for the price, but I wanted something a little more controllable.

I had read lots of reviews on these pumps, along with the wp models. I went with the RW8 models simply for the wireless aspect, and the price difference wasn't much.

They came in a pretty standard looking glossy box. Time from opening the two boxes to having them running was about 5 minutes. They were very easy to put together, and I was pleasantly surprised to see some seals and extra protection against water on some of the electrical components. It came with a good size chunk of double sided sponge tape to mount the controller with - the controller is very very light as well. I was/am concerned about how light the controllers are, but they work as intended.

They have 5 operating modes, and 9 speeds as well as a fine tuning knob. I have tried all the modes, and I am not sure which one I prefer. Right now I have it on W1, which the pumps are turning on and off. It creates sort of a back and forth wave in the tank. C mode is pretty neat too, the pumps turn on and off at alternating times. I set one controller to master and one to slave, and had no issues with it, they have been "communicating" well. Some have reported many issues with this and pumps running out of sync, etc... I have experience none of this, but it may crop up in the future. The controllers are set up about 10 feet apart.

It has feed mode and night mode, as well as a lock. Feed mode seems to work fine, I have not tried night mode yet. I have never turned powerheads off at night so I am not sure I will even use this mode. Lock works as intended.

Now... As for performance, this is where I was really surprised. I wasn't expecting a huge performance boost, but they can really push some water. I almost sloshed water over the rim of my tank when I first set them up. The flow seems a lot broader than my koralias and my tank looks filthy right now because they have stirred up all kinds of things. My fish went into hiding, my corals all look harassed. I have turned it down to a more calm option, but I was really shocked. I was initially concerned that the two rw8s might not be enough for a 6 foot tank, but they are more than enough. However, I may move them onto the back wall rather than the side walls that they are currently on right now. We will see.

I am remaining cautiously impressed. I will update this thread with any new issues or trouble that come from the pumps, but I am optimistic that these will be a pretty good pump for the price.

They come with a 1 year warranty as well.

We will see how this goes.

***EDIT 1/10/2014

Ran into my first issue/annoyance. My tank is in the basement, so it's pretty dark down there. I noticed last night when I went down that one controller had went into night mode since there is essentially no light other than tank light (and after 7pm only 2 bulbs are running). I assumed that the controllers would be able to "speak" to one another whether there was light, but the sensor seems to run independently. I had the master controller placed in such a way that it would be able to sense the lights from the aquarium. My slave controller is behind a curtain, so it get's dark. I moved the slave controller to a different location to fix the issue, but it's too bad that the controllers run independently when it comes to night mode. Every other mode seems connected but I guess night mode is determined by the actual sensor on each controller.
    Last edited by carriej; 10-01-2014 at 04:27 PM.

Club Supporter

I seen one of these in action on my old 300. 2 of these on your tank being more than enough is an understatement ( I nearly busted from laughing) Seeing what one of them did to the water in my old 300 I can't even imaging 2 going full bore in a 6ft tank. They are insane strong from what I seen. You'd have water everywhere lol!

Club Supporter

Wayne, it says on the box they are good for nano tanks! LOL! I was concerned when I seen that.

OMG I turned them on and I was like "Oh this alright..." Then after about 40 seconds of running the waves started getting huge, and the water was sloshing back and forth. I had to pull the plug LOL. I moved them lower in the tank and that seemed to help lol. Even blew some of my crabs and snails clean off the rocks. Stuff flying everywhere!

Club Supporter

That's to funny Carrie. I would've to have seen that! Is there different sizes of them I wonder?

Club Supporter

I absolutely love my WPs. Best money I've spent.

Running mine in ELSE mode now.

This was during setup in W1:

Club Supporter

Else mode is a little crazy. I think I need to reposition them before I can use that. Seems pretty violent in my tank, and it doesn't seem to be a controllable mode and just does what it wants. I think if I put them on the back wall it might be a bit better. Sliced my hand open cutting open a squash today, so I'll move them in a few days once that has healed.

Club Supporter

Ouch! Yeah that wouldn't feel great in salt water.

Mine blow directly into my rock wall so it deadens a lot of the flow through the tank, but I still never have anything settle anywhere.

ELSE mode is random flow from 30-100%

Club Supporter

And yes, as per the video... Imagine that on a full tank LOL... So close to sloshing over the edge.

ECAS member

Where do you get them and what's a item like that cost you

ECAS member

I found this one on amazon for 89 bucks with free shipping

Jebao WP-60 Wavemaker with Controller, 2600gph to 5300gph

im guessing that would drain a tank in two second lol but amaze I g price

ECAS member

guppies did you start a SW tank?
    70g cube - saltwater reef
    55g - African cichlids

ECAS member

No not yet

Club Supporter

Wow Nuggs, that's wicked flow.

Carrie I don't blame you for waiting to stick your hand in the tank. All the more reason to not eat veggies! LOL

I've been thinking of a small powerhead for my 90 planted tank for a bit more flow but this would uproot all my plants!!

Club Supporter

One of them would probably blow the end out of a 90 gallon lol. And for how much?? Ecotech better come Down a biit more I'd say.

Club Supporter

Celidh the 425GPH koralias work great for planted tanks. I used 2 in my 55 gallon. Great to pick up flow and decrease dead spots, but not enough to harm plants.

Please check first thread for updated thoughts.

Oh, and Wayne I paid $168 or something like that for the pair. Two powerheads, two controllers. The controllers can be ran independently or you can set one controller to master and the other to slave and control them both in sync. I have been playing around today trying them independently, having one on one mode, and one on another. Today I turned the pump off to drain two inches or so of water from my display, so I didn't have to worry about sloshing water out of the tank while playing with the settings. I'm getting smarter by the day LOL

ECAS member

I only have one hydor 1400 on my 70g cube right now. Thinking I should add a second one in. Probably going to happen once I sump it. That's some crazy flow in the tank Nuggs.
    70g cube - saltwater reef
    55g - African cichlids

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cabinetman Click here to enlarge
    That's to funny Carrie. I would've to have seen that! Is there different sizes of them I wonder?
    Ya mines the rw-20....BIT more juice lol
    500 gallon fowlr tank

Scrubber lover #2

Club Supporter

The rw-20 is a little over 2x as powerful as the rw-8. Since I have 2 in a smaller tank, I imagine the effect would be similar lol

ECAS member

I was think about getting rw-60 it's around same price on amazon

Club Supporter

A 60? Your insane. It would literally blow out the tank wall lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast