Thread: Maritime FragFEST

ECAS member

Maritime FragFEST

As some of you may have heard, a new organization has been started, who's sole purpose is to host a Maritime FragFest once, maybe twice a year. This event would be open to all vendors and forums in the Maritimes, as well as across Canada. Of course, it would also be open to the public in hopes of inspiring newcomers to start reefkeeping.

Through this event, vendors could showcase their livestock and/or equipment for the community to see and/or purchase. As well, guest speakers could be brought in for seminars, etc... Various other activities could take place as well, like door prizes, raffles on livestock, etc...

The main question with any event such as this is Cost. For example, we need to rent space for the venue... that's a cost. I'm sure there are many other costs involved. Anyways, the purpose of this thread is to get ideas from the community to see what activities they would like to see in such an event. As well, get your ideas on ways to offset cost... a few ideas that have already been brought up is to charge admission and to charge vendors for a table.

Anyways, I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on the matter. Also, if you want to help and get involved in some way, please PM me... some of you already have, much appreciated. I'll keep everyone updated when new information becomes available. Thanks everyone, let's make this happen. The Maritimes deserves it's own FragFest!

ECAS member

Cool idea, even though im not into reef stuff myself. One suggestion id make, depending on the location you want, you might find someone who can get access to a community hall or something similar for a reasonable cost. We just had a social here in the valley last month, and i was able to get our fire hall to host it.
    125g. Jaguar pair.... 75g. Jaguar male....
    45g. L002 Pleco pair.... 30g. Danios....
    55g. Iridescent shark.... 33g. Marble crayfish....
    6x20g. Shrimp/Guppies/Breeding/Fry....

Club Supporter

Cost is always an issue, and sometimes it can be hard to get around them. Here are some ideas.

Charging Admission (mentioned) - Obviously one can always charge admission. There are several problems with this. One, even if it's a small fee like 3-5$ it still annoys people for some reason. I know I personally never have an issue paying a fee to go to an event, but people love free things. The other negative part of this is that you never really know how many people are going to show, so it's not always a reliable means of helping cover cost.

Vendor Booths (mentioned) - Charging a fee for vendors is another way to collect funds, although it may deter some vendors from holding a booth. On the positive side though, chances are the vendors will more than likely make money (people like to spend money at events) and it keeps the consumer (hobbyists) from having to pay any money towards the event itself and leaves them to spend their money at vendors.

Raffles/50-50 - We used to do this often for an animal shelter here, we would buy something valued at say $500, and sell 500 tickets at $2. That equals $500 in profit if the item wasn't donated, and the draw only happens once all tickets are sold. It's a guaranteed way to cover costs, but it takes time to sell tickets. Also, I am not sure about legalities concerning a lottery license.. Might be able to get a temp one for something like that. Would have to check into it.

Sponsors - Businesses love cheap advertising, and if you have a good idea of what you're going to have for people, you can ask for a business sponsor through local businesses in the area. I have done this several times through other organizations (not ECAS) and while not everyone says yes, a lot of people don't mind putting forth a bit of money if they know that they can get advertising to X amount of people right in their area. If you don't want businesses to sponsor the event itself, you can have them sponsor other things, such as building rental (a lot of hotels and/or community buildings will allow non-profit organizations to hold events/meetings at free or reduced costs), or even have something else sponsored such as beverages, food, or what have you. It all saves money somewhere.

These are just a handful of random ideas.

ECAS member

Thanks for the suggestion, sawdust. Yes, we're already looking for a venue to host the event in. The idea is not a reef social, per say, but rather an actual reef event full of vendors displaying products and livestock for show/sale, as well as seminars, raffles, door prizes, etc... To get an idea of what we have in mind, check out the Photos section for London FragFest in http://torontofragfest.ca/ .

One idea we were thinking of having is to have a seminar and Q&A for Freshwater enthusiasts to introduce them to the Saltwater hobby, providing information such as comparing the two in terms of cost, maintenance, etc..

Many of our saltwater hobbyists also have freshwater tanks, so getting their perspective is ideal.

ECAS member

Great ideas, Carrie... I will probably reach out to you for info on some of these, since you've had first hand experience on planning them.