Thread: Any interest in daphnia?

ECAS member

Any interest in daphnia?

Just wondering how many people would be interested in culturing daphnia? There seems to be a complete lack of hobbyists in Atlantic Canada who culture these neat little arthropods. They're high in protein, aid in preventing constipation, can survive in the tank if uneaten, and require minimal equipment and space to cultivate. Is it due to lack of interest in live food overall? Lack of sources for acquisition? Or lack of knowledge on how to cultivate?

Would it be worth throwing together a guide or video?

ECAS member

A guide of some sort would be cool, im interested in trying them out. I have microworms that i fed to my last batch of fry and they loved them. Would be good to have some variety though...
    125g. Jaguar pair.... 75g. Jaguar male....
    45g. L002 Pleco pair.... 30g. Danios....
    55g. Iridescent shark.... 33g. Marble crayfish....
    6x20g. Shrimp/Guppies/Breeding/Fry....

ECAS member

i would be interested as well

10g Cherry & Crystal Black Shrimp//33g Guppy Tank//33g setup for Green Terror//33g setup for Tequila Fish//33g Blood Red & Green Jewel
    55g Mbuna Cichlid//29g QT//55g Heckel's Thread-Finned Acara//46g Apistogramma Panduro//90g Angel & BNP​//​120g Saltwater//120g Fresh Water Community

ECAS member

Alright, I have a busy week ahead of me, but I'll try to sit down and write a basic background and How-To with some pictures of my setup the week after.

I'm also offering free daphnia to anyone available to pick up in Halifax. Eventually I'd like to look into harvesting the cysts in diapause, which I should be able to send by mail to anyone a bit further away...

ECAS member

I am very interested in this but don't know where to get any to start a culture. I regularly fed with Daphnia, glass worms and cyclops when I was a youngster in the uk - many fish shops cultured and sold bags of them too.

ECAS member

I would love some