Thread: API filstar Large issues

ECAS member

API filstar Large issues

My API canister is currently having trouble pumping the water upon start up after my water change on my 125g this is a big problem! Main source of filtration all I have is a penguin 350 HOB and a bubbler in the tank.. I have done everything I could think of, emptied the can, primed the intake hose... Put the cap back on press down on the lever it begins to pump when I turn it on it maintains flow for about 30 seconds to a minute and then bubbles start to slow down and the pumping slows down right now it seems to be trying really hard like what would normally happen upon start up for a matter of seconds only this is how my filters currently running also tried shutting off filter and cracking one latch to release pressure and have the water fill the can to the max this gives it some sort of jumpstart but again the filter hasn't
    Got enough power to keep
    The flow going without working really hard, it's not even a year old I don't know what else I could be doing wrong here I have my doubts that something's broken on the filter itself I've checked the empeller multiple times. Very concerned about how long this 125 can last I just freshly did a 70% water change.. Won't feed them for the next while until I can get this filter running right, once again it finds the power to push some water out but then cuts out after. Please help!! Don't have the funds to dump on another one of these expensive cans And im having trouble locating my warranty info. am I best letting the filter attempt to run itself or turn it off so I don't work the motor too hard?
    125g: 1 red spotted severum, 1 wild red bellied severum, 1 Rotkiel severum, 7 bosemani rainbowfish, 1 ghost knife, 1 ropefish, 1 inspector pleco, 1 butterfly pleco

90g: 3 hook silver dollar, 1 red bellied severum, 1 leopard ctenopoma

Super Moderator Chopper Challenge Champion

Don't suppose you could post a video of what it is doing? I currently have 7 of these.

ECAS member

Well I think priming these things are the biggest pain in the a** .... Bit are the best canisters !! I have 2 and they are annoying to get fired back up so whAt I do is I put the outtake in a bucket and use a juice jug and pour water down the primer a couple times and because the house is lower then the too of the tank it makes it easier to prime and get the trapped air out! One running I lift the buket and hose and quicky pop it into the tank while it's pumping!! If that doesn't work I would say your im propeller or motor is very weak! Maybe clean it or maybe broken I propeller .... Did you take the little twist thing off under the good and clean in there?

ECAS member

I have one and when I do my water changes I lift the thing up and unplug clean it then plug back in and away it goes but I'm thinking it's about time to clean the hoses I've never had a issue with these filter but this is my first one

ECAS member

Just read my own message.... Gawd I'm a terrible Typer!!

Super Moderator

I agree with the priming being tricky. I had to put plumber's tape around the thread of the fill cap on two of mine to keep them from letting air seep through. When the air seeped in, it did pretty much what you are describing, so maybe give that a try.

ECAS member

When did you clean the sponges in the filter?I found if I went over a month without cleaning my API,the water output was a trickle.I also had to replace mine on the 125 gal.I found that it was too small of a filter for a 125 gal.They seem to me to be not as good as their rating.I would say they have less flow than a AC110 HOB.

I can't say I have any issue priming them. easiest canister to prime. Fill with water, push the lever down and plug in. That's it.

Super Moderator

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by komodo182 Click here to enlarge
    I can't say I have any issue priming them. easiest canister to prime. Fill with water, push the lever down and plug in. That's it.

It is not that the routine of priming them is hard, but they are prone to the cap on the prime tube not fitting tightly. This can lead to air getting sucked into the line. I am glad you have not had this issue, but it is pretty common.

ECAS member

I'm following as I am considering upgrading my can and this brand was on the top of my list
    75 Gal Planted High Tech

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Redherring Click here to enlarge
    It is not that the routine of priming them is hard, but they are prone to the cap on the prime tube not fitting tightly. This can lead to air getting sucked into the line. I am glad you have not had this issue, but it is pretty common.
    I've had multiple of these for years (switched from fluval), so its weird to me to hear someone having issues with them.

Owner

Agreed..mine have always worked well too!

Any luck in getting the filter to work yet? Hoping a cleaning and tightening that intake cap helped!
    ..` A woman needs a man like a fish needs a net. ..`

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Redherring Click here to enlarge
    Flat rubber O- rings can be bought at crappy tire for 2 bucks for a few !! Easy fix!! It's what I did anyways!!

I should add that I bought metal o rings too

Club Supporter

I have had air seepage issues with them as well. As red said, normally with a loose fitting cap.

ECAS member

Let the filter run for the night and it sorted itself out lucky, thanks
    for all the info guys know what to look for next time
    125g: 1 red spotted severum, 1 wild red bellied severum, 1 Rotkiel severum, 7 bosemani rainbowfish, 1 ghost knife, 1 ropefish, 1 inspector pleco, 1 butterfly pleco

90g: 3 hook silver dollar, 1 red bellied severum, 1 leopard ctenopoma