Thread: Lighting

ECAS member

Lighting

Does anyone have recommendations for lighting that will grow corals and such, that would work for a 4 foot long tank?
    There are just so many choices out there and so many opinions, and I trust all of you more than complete strangers.
    Thanks!

Club Supporter

Honestly, when it comes to lights the sky is the limit. The best place to start is usually your budget/what you want to grow. A lot of people use LED lighting, some use t5ho lighting (like myself), and some prefer MH lighting. Personally, it comes down to how much money you want to spend, and what type of corals you want to keep. Some corals like mushrooms can be grown in lower light, while SPS corals take quite a bit more juice. You could also factor in personal preferences, like for example LEDs are very controllable and more compact, etc...

ECAS member

Yup Carrie said it! All depends on you budget and wants ! I prefer a t5 ho personally but that's my preference ... I've seen led setups and they seem reel nice ! But can can break the bank! If your in a jam for bulbs I got some used ones for sale as I need to sell them to afford good plant bulbs!

ECAS member

Yup Carrie said it! All depends on you budget and wants ! I prefer a t5 ho personally but that's my preference ... I've seen led setups and they seem reel nice ! But can can break the bank! If your in a jam for bulbs I got some used ones for sale as I need to sell them to afford good plant bulbs!

Club Supporter

Chinese LEDs

ECAS member

I built a DIY fixture from RapidLED, mounted the LED's on a pair of U channels as a heatsink. Best lighting I could have ever imagined... Better, actually!

Super Moderator

Yup, Carrie said it. I personally really like Kessil LEDs (look slick, grow things really well, not too bad for price). There are tons of choices, lots of price levels, all depends on what you want.

Club Supporter

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MarineLife Click here to enlarge
    Does anyone have recommendations for lighting that will grow corals and such, that would work for a 4 foot long tank?
    There are just so many choices out there and so many opinions, and I trust all of you more than complete strangers.
    Thanks!
    I you want to have a look at Chinese LEDs let me know, and you can stop by.

Official ECAS vendor

You can stop in the shop and have a run down of the corals there and the several different types of lighting we have this might help you decide.
    AFK Reef Supplies
    902 446 7800
    Mon-Fri 10-6:30
    Sat 11-6:30

ECAS member

I use LED lighting from Build My Own LED. I really like what they did to and for my plants. Yup you do have to pay for them but ya always get what ya pay for. My tank is very high tech and these lights work wonders. I have 3 LED strips 60 inches long but the specs only called for two 60 inch lighting strips, I would rather have more than not enough. My tank is all about more. I could not be more happier with the lights. there is that word again, more...lololololol

ECAS member

Uni12 and -SoPhluffeh if like to see pics of you diy led lighting system as I'm on the hunt for something really really bright and over the top for my cichlid tank cause I'd like to put some real plants in with my cichlids since a know a couple that can go in with them and want something that will brigh ting up my tank so no dark spots anywheres in my whole tank