Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: cichlids breeding thread

ECAS member

cichlids breeding thread

So I have about 200 fry growing out of about 150 yellow tail acei plus 50 ice blues and in the last week I found my ice blue female holding a acei holding and today came home from work and have not 1 but 2 red zebras holding fry so I might be looking at another 200 fry what to do what to do with all these fish

ECAS member

So I just went and looked at my tank and found my two ahli breeding thier only two inches and already breeding the female is holding so I'll have electric blue ahli soon along with about 400 other fry to much breeding not enough room

Super Moderator

Lol that's why I always left them to hold and spit in the main tank, females don't breed while holding and a fair percentage will get picked off while young.

Even then it was way more fry then I could sell or even give away for that matter ,but made a great steady supply of feeders :)

Just a tip u have to be careful not to let them over breed. males will liturally breed females to death especially if they are stripped. Unless u have many (6-10+) females per male id recommend you setup a tank where females can recoup and eat for a few weeks before you put them back where males can get at them!

Also females who breed young tend not to get as large as females who are allowed to reach fullsize before breeding. It's better not to allow themto breed young so that they have a chance to hit a mature size before starting which leads to healthier more robust females.

Congrats on all the success !

ECAS member

Me I can't let them just be eating I love them to much if I can't sell or give them away I'll take to pet stores and trade in theirs lot around here lol or ship them to ppl around ns I just like to see them do thier thing an I think I have 14 females to 4 males for that kind and 2-4 male reds to 6 females and so on

ECAS member

Yeah really congrats on all the breeding! I wouldn't mine a couple !

ECAS member

Who ever wants to get some you can pm and when ready I'll call u

ECAS member

And Devon if u wanna start your cichlid tank back up I can help with stock for it since you were so nice to me when I lost mine awhile back

Lovemyfish

Congrats! It was very nice to meet you yesterday. I will take a couple of those when they are ready.

ECAS member

It was nice to meet you to and sorry agian about the mixup lol and for sure you get first dibs on the ahli when ready and any others you want that I have or that I might have in future

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge

Super Moderator

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Guppies_pond Click here to enlarge
    And Devon if u wanna start your cichlid tank back up I can help with stock for it since you were so nice to me when I lost mine awhile back

Thanks , I appreciate for the offer . I do love african cichlids but for now they don't fit into my plans and I'm running out of space!

ECAS member

No problem you will always have cichlids as long a I have them you were so kind to me so I'd be happy to return the fav

ECAS member

good to hear you are having good luck with the breeding way to go.... i have had no luck now for about 2 years maybe they killed off all the females i dunno :)
    Support your local fish stores ...if you don't...you won't have them..and then it is too late to whine about it ...

ECAS member

Thanks in the last month I've had about 10 batches of fry or close to it I have around 400 fry if not more and 4 females holding as of today so I'm glad I have no problem with breeding will give me something to do over winter while laid off for winter

ECAS member

Another acei and red zebra holding agian today so I have 3 holding 2 acei and 1 red zebra cause I striped the other 4 that were holding

ECAS member

holy c$#p that's a lot of fry in that tank :)
    Support your local fish stores ...if you don't...you won't have them..and then it is too late to whine about it ...

ECAS member

Ya as they get bigger their going to a bigger tank then they will be rehomed I have about 200 acei fry about 120 ice blue 5 ahli and about 70 red zebras plus the two acei that are holding and the 1 red zebra so what ever they have will be added to that total

ECAS member

So in the last few days I've noticed I have 4 acei holding and a female ob peacock holding so I got 5 holding plus I striped a female acei 2 days ago and got about 60 fry from her

Super Moderator

If you are ever traveling to moncton please let me know. I'd take a big school of acei and some ahil !

I'm in no rush but I'm going to have to split my frt out of my arowana tank soon because the fish are beating her up :s. she will be getting the 240g to herself with African cichlids for activity/color!

ECAS member

For sure Devon if I can find boxes to ship maybe when I have a group around a inch or 2 maybe I can send and you just pay shipping or maybe when I send Lisa her fish maybe I can have some grown that size and send them with her cause she goes to Moncton to riverscape and maybe u can meet up and get them that's if u like or if she's willing to but we would have to talk more and get details worked out

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast