Thread: Greedy Guppies

ECAS member

Greedy Guppies

Fitting I should make the first post here :)

Never really had guppies since I was a kid (quite some years ago), but started with a few about 2 years ago because I wanted unheated simple-to-maintain small tanks.

I prefer the more natural ones - only one veiltail male left from the original stock of 2 years ago.

But about their eating habits - they are much more aggressive and smart about getting food than their platy tankmates. The platies seem almost stunned in comparison - slower to notice the food and slower to get at it.

My next observation is that some of the guppies are quite good at scouring the gravel for leftovers - recently I've caught some females nipping and nudging corys away from their rightful pickings!

And one female was tugging at strands of Java moss as though it was eating!

BTW I am not starving them! 3-4 feedings per day as a rule.

ECAS member

Thats cool small planted tanks. I wanna start one.

What defines 'livebearer' ? Stupid questions are only the ones which arent asked.

ECAS member

Googled it. So cool internal incubation. Would love a school of guppies in a 10 or 20g planted tank

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by erikdover Click here to enlarge
    Googled it. So cool internal incubation. Would love a school of guppies in a 10 or 20g planted tank
    Small tanks have the problem of most fish are too timid to thrive in them. Guppies and platies have the virtue of not being timid (except when you try to net them!) and in fact rush to the front of the tanks when you approach, expecting food.

In a tank of guppies it's often advised to have more females than males, as the males can wear the females out. But because the males have the colour, many people find this hard advice to take. Right now I have only one male in a tank with 6 females, and another tank with only males.

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by John B Click here to enlarge
    Small tanks have the problem of most fish are too timid to thrive in them. Guppies and platies have the virtue of not being timid (except when you try to net them!) and in fact rush to the front of the tanks when you approach, expecting food.

In a tank of guppies it's often advised to have more females than males, as the males can wear the females out. But because the males have the colour, many people find this hard advice to take. Right now I have only one male in a tank with 6 females, and another tank with only males.
    Good to know..... I have a 25 gallon stocked with guppies I'm trying to get rid cause they nip at Eachother a lot!!

ECAS member

I love my guppies, I had them when I lived in Ontario, and bred them quite well. I have them now, but they arn't breeding and I don't know why. It's frustrating. lol

ECAS member

I miss my guppies and platies, I got caught up in the cichlids, angelfish and piranhas, but I always miss my guppies, I started with 12 guppies, 4 platties and 2 mollies, ended up with so many I had to take a pic in order to count them

ECAS member

I remember once I had to trade 40 for a 30g tank just to get rid of some

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NABOMB69 Click here to enlarge
    I remember once I had to trade 40 for a 30g tank just to get rid of some
    I don't think I'm particularly cruel, but I do not hesitate to let surplus guppy fry share some time with a betta in her little tank. :)

ECAS member

I had a school of guppies given to me when i bought my 125 for my jags. Theyre still in a 20g qt halfway through a preventative prazi treatment and there must be 30+ babies already...

Should prolly thin out the males a bit once qt is done, they can go for one last swim in the big tank ;)
    125g. Jaguar pair.... 75g. Jaguar male....
    45g. L002 Pleco pair.... 30g. Danios....
    55g. Iridescent shark.... 33g. Marble crayfish....
    6x20g. Shrimp/Guppies/Breeding/Fry....