Thread: Are spirulina tablets the same as algae pellets?

ECAS member

spirulina is a form of algae, usually this is what is in most algae pellets/wafers. It is the most common algae found in foods. Another type is red algae, often found in colour enhancing foods under the name R.A.P.
    130 SA community, 75 African oddball, 55 caecilians, 55 catfish, 33 blackwater, other smaller setups

ECAS member

In most cases they are quite similar, pellets often float, wafers sink. Quality varies depening on the brand. In the end, It comes down to the ingredients in each, and what the needs of a specific fish are. Chances are the algae in the wafer is spirulina as well.
    130 SA community, 75 African oddball, 55 caecilians, 55 catfish, 33 blackwater, other smaller setups

ECAS member

what you need to ask yourself is what level does your fish feed at? top or bottom? Perhaps mid level? Does it require a strick veggie diet, or would it benefit from some fish meal or other proteins being in the food?

ECAS member

Do bottom feeders like plecos, catfish prefer spirulina or algae wafers?
    Actually, neither, as most plecos & catfish are omnivores, with some species actually being classified as carnivores, and neither require massive amounts of algae in their diet. Most fish can only assimilate so much spirulina, kelp, etc, the rest is expelled as waste, which results in a reduction of water quality, and poor growth in the fish.

Read the ingredient labels closely, as many of these so called "algae wafers" are loaded with cheap grain fillers.
    Like most things in life, you get what you pay for .....

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RD
    Read the ingredient labels closely, as many of these so called "algae wafers" are loaded with cheap grain fillers.
    Like most things in life, you get what you pay for .....
    Amen to that!

ECAS member

That being said can someone give a list of some of the better foods to feed ie: Wardley; Nutrafin, ect, ect, ect. I know that different people like different foods but opinions go a long way too. I think I'm going to start a new thread and ask opinions on what people feed their fishies.
    Rose
    90g salt; 180g Oscars/Severums/Parrotfish/Frontosa;100g Tropheus;55g tall Discus; 25g tall ClownLoaches; 44g corner-empty; 110g tall empty. Some small tanks

ECAS member

I use New Life Spectrum for dry foods, Hikari for frozen, and whichever brand is at hand for freeze dried critters. NLS makes a very good wafer that doesn't break down in the water for 24 hours.

ECAS member

Hmmm, I don't have any suggestions cause I am afraid I am going to have the same problem. Mine do the same thing. So far, mine are doing good, but every time I throw an algae tablet in, the others one attack it and they are all much bigger than the Otos. The Otos do try and eat too, and they use their bodies to try and cover the tablet, but they are just too tiny. They do the same with the shrimp pellets I put in there but the big fish always win.
    Hmm.......

ECAS member

Tecnic, try to put the tablets in after you turn out the lights.
    My fish are more than my hobby, they're my passion. GetFish Aquarium ... 163 St-Laurent, Dieppe, NB (506)860-0919.. 300+ different types of fish and inverts.