Thread: New Fish

ECAS member

New Fish

Picked up this guy from a local girl yesterday I'm sure he's over a foot long

Click here to enlarge

ECAS member

What a brute :)
    Support your local fish stores ...if you don't...you won't have them..and then it is too late to whine about it ...

Super Moderator

Congrats on the new addition.

It Might just be the angle but he looks very thin . It might be best to keep half a cucumber or zucchini sitting in the bottom for him to have continual access for food while until he bulks up a bit.

Hikari algae wafers are great as well . I tried a small bag a few weeks back and was so happy with them that I ordered a 2 lb bag from pets and ponds .

Good luck with him.

ECAS member

Perfect very good to know, I was going to ask what would be the best thing to feed this big guy, first time owning such a big pleco

Super Moderator

Diet should be mostly vegetarian/algae based . They can be opertunistic omnivores though or even prey/chew on tankmates if hungry enough.

He'll probably polish off 1/4 of a cucumber in a night . I'd get a cuc cut it in half then split the halves horizontally exposing the center flesh . Just Stick a fork in one of those peices as a weight and drop it in . It'll likly just be the hollowed out thin green skin left in the morning.

Typically I wouldn't do that every night but to bulk him up it won't hurt just remove the uneaten portion after a day or so and replace them. When he starts leaving more uneaten just reduce the size of the food offered or frequency or both.

If you grab some hikari wafers I'd feed. 1-2 a day to bulk him up .

After that the same portion thing 2-3 times a week along with a chunk of vegetable like cucumber 1-2 nights a week should keep him healthy and happy.

Be warned though, these suckers get HUGE!! I've seen 24+ Inch common plecos in person and they are massive fish!!!