Thread: Treatment for betta's fins

ECAS member

Treatment for betta's fins

Hi every one I have a question for you all I have my betta in a 3 gallon tank, and lately I noticed that his fins were looking weird, he could still flare them out but they were disolving. I treated with Melafix and nothing, looked into betafix and found out that its just a weaker form of melafix, so tonight I did a huge water change(greater than 75%) to see if that's a step in the right direction, So I was wondering if there is a better treatment for fins I could use.

Super Moderator Chopper Challenge Champion

Pics might help.
    Turn the heater up to around 82-86. Watch the water quality to make sure there is no ammonia or nitrite.
    You won't find many people that use melafix. Clean water and heat will solve most issues.
    What were the parameters before you did a water change?
    How often do you do water changes?
    What filter do you have on the tank?

ECAS member

im with komodo
    but i have found that clean water is the best for betta all my males are in 3-5 g tanks filtered

ECAS member

I'm running a tetra whisper 2-5g filter, and I'm running a tetra fully submersible heater rated a 2-10g, so I can't raise the temp, and as for parameters idk I forgot to check b4 I did the change, but I do 2 wc's a week one 25-30% and one 10-15%, usually same day I do wc's on my 20g and my 30g

ECAS member

he may be biting his own fins i had a male that would do it when i took him out of the fry tank

Super Moderator

Without knowing parameters and temperatures and it pics its impossible to even diagnose a problem let alone suggest treatment.

With that said making sure all parameters are in check and maintaining clean water is the most important part of any recovery . Based on your description it does not sound like a parasite issue or fungal so it's likly something bacterial. I personally if clean water didn't turn things around fairly quickly I would treat with the melafix /pimafix combination, I find the combo is a very effective treatment I've used them many baby times over the years and it's never failed me. However I find they are far less effective if either product is used alone.

Hope that helps.
    My Aquariums *Updated Feb. 2016
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    100g- 4x Channa Pleurophthalma , 1x Erpetoichthys Calabaricus, 2x Synodontis Eupterus, Polypterus ssp.'s Lapradei, Delhezi,Ornatipinnis ,Endlicheri & Angsorii x2
    160g- Carettochelys Insculpta
    100g- Pair Channa Aurantimaculata,
    80g 1x Channa Aurantimaculata (for sale...inquire)
    70g- Solo Channa Asiatica,
    30g- 1x Channa Gachua (for sale ... Inquire)
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    35g- Pair of Channa Bleheri
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri