Thread: Blue rainbowfish - white/metallic eye

ECAS member

Blue rainbowfish - white/metallic eye

Initially thought this was an injury, but it's affected a few fish and I've lost a couple. Typically affects only one eye, but sometimes both as it progresses... Seems to go through a cycle of healing/getting worse. In late stages the eyes tend to look more or less better, but the fish is darker with some white scales. Fish eats normally and interacts with tank mates throughout.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

These pictures were taken of the same fish, and currently the only one showing any symptoms. All taken of the same eye, the other eye looks normal. Has only been affecting the rainbowfish.

ECAS member

Several things can cause cloudy eyes in aquarium fish. Internal parasites, such as protozoa or flukes, are one cause. Another is the onset of cataracts in fish. I'm not aware of any treatments for those problems. Bacteria can infect fish eyes damaged by injury. Treatment with a good antibiotic should cure these infections. Dietary deficiencies, such as lack of vitamin A, may contribute to poor fish eye health. The most common cause of cloudy eyes in aquarium fish seems to be poor water quality, especially when the pH drops too low. In my years as an aquarium dealer, I ran many water tests for customers. When they complained of aquarium fish with cloudy eyes, almost without exception I found the pH in their aquariums to be extremely low. Often, the pH was so low it tested off the chart.
    taken fromhttp://www.fishchannel.com

ECAS member

pH is at 7.2
    Ammonia/nitrites are 0ppm
    Nitrates are 5ppm

Feeding a mix of NLS OPTIMUM, hikari tropical pellets, hikari cichlid pellets, and occasionaly frozen blood worms/brine shrimp.

Internal parasites might explain it, but seems strange it would only be affecting one species. Wouldn't be unheard of though. I'll start treating it as internal parasites I guess, and maybe keep an eye out to make sure everyone's poop looks healthy.