Thread: Major problems

ECAS member

Major problems

I have some major issues and need help.

I woke up this morning to find a broken thermometer in the aquarium. Took it out and went to work. When I got home two of my fish were looking as if there slime coat was peeling off and not acting like themselvs.

I did a water test and found that my pH had crashed right off the charts, 6 or below. Also my nitrate had spiked off the chart, between 80 and 160. Among a and nitrite are both at zero.

I did a massive water change at this point, about 80%. I will let things settle and do another test shortly.

Could the termometerhave anything to do with this?

ECAS member

When was the last time you did a water change or test before today? It's not likely from the thermometer, unless your thermometer is very old or from the dollar store, they don't typically use mercury or lead in them anymore... All thats in it should be glass, alcohol and some mild steel ball bearings.

Super Moderator

Thermometer breaking is probably not the cause, assuming it's the standard ones with red indicator all it contains is a very small amount of alcohol .

How often are you doing water changes? Sounds to me like they went a bit too long between changes and the nitrate levels hit that critical point where a tank crashes . If you e been doing frequent water changes then I'd test the tap water and make sure it's not high in nitrates to begin with.

Hope that helps!
    My Aquariums *Updated Feb. 2016
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    100g- 4x Channa Pleurophthalma , 1x Erpetoichthys Calabaricus, 2x Synodontis Eupterus, Polypterus ssp.'s Lapradei, Delhezi,Ornatipinnis ,Endlicheri & Angsorii x2
    160g- Carettochelys Insculpta
    100g- Pair Channa Aurantimaculata,
    80g 1x Channa Aurantimaculata (for sale...inquire)
    70g- Solo Channa Asiatica,
    30g- 1x Channa Gachua (for sale ... Inquire)
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    35g- Pair of Channa Bleheri
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

ECAS member

Also, what was the pH supposed to be originally? might need to add in something to help buffer the ph in your tank like crushed coral... Where ammonia and nitrite read zero and nitrate is at 80-160, that shows your cycle is working as it should be, but it is surely overdue for a water change whether they've been overfed this week or accidentally missed a week or two :P. Could be a little touch of nitrate poisoning. Which the 80% water change you already just did will have already taken care of.