Thread: Crayfish and loach safe meds

ECAS member

Crayfish and loach safe meds

I don't know if this is the right place for these questions but 1. Is the combo of melafix and primafix safe for crayfish? I know I can use them with loaches in my tank, and 2. If not what are some good meds for fungal, bacterial, and parasitic infections that are safe to use in the presence of crayfish and kuli loaches? Just wondering in case I have to get meds.

Super Moderator

Yes , pimafix & Melafix are safe to use with crayfish or other inverts. Also safe for loaches or scaleless fish they also won't kill off the benificial bacteria in you filter . I've found both products are most effective & very effective when used together.

Hope that helps.
    My Aquariums *Updated Feb. 2016
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    100g- 4x Channa Pleurophthalma , 1x Erpetoichthys Calabaricus, 2x Synodontis Eupterus, Polypterus ssp.'s Lapradei, Delhezi,Ornatipinnis ,Endlicheri & Angsorii x2
    160g- Carettochelys Insculpta
    100g- Pair Channa Aurantimaculata,
    80g 1x Channa Aurantimaculata (for sale...inquire)
    70g- Solo Channa Asiatica,
    30g- 1x Channa Gachua (for sale ... Inquire)
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    35g- Pair of Channa Bleheri
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

ECAS member

Do you keep the kuhli loaches and crayfish together? If you do, I would very much suggest giving one or the other a different home. The loaches love schools of 6 or more and the crayfish will try to catch/eat them.
    Optimist: someone who figures that taking a step backward after taking a step forward is not a disaster, it's more like a cha-cha.