Thread: Slim Disease

ECAS member

Slim Disease

well I have battled Slim disease for the last week, had fish for 20 years and never heard of it, but my fish are covered in a white mucus like slim, they still eat but it seems to no be getting better. I researched it and raised the heat up, added salt and parasite cure, but the tank is a 220 gallon, so it takes a lot of dosing. any other ideas, or am I off base???

Thanks

ECAS member

I've had something similar recently although after speaking with Graham it seemed to be Costia but symptoms seem very similar. I did my own research and ordered in some parasitic cure "quick cure". It treats large amounts of water as my tanks are also 150+. I have bottles of it at home if that helps but it certainly fixed my outbreak sadly though after the loss of 6 panda uaru and 2 of my plecos.

ECAS member

pm'd you

ECAS member

A common treatment for protozoa infections would be malachite green and formalin.I take it there is no tail and fin rot or sudden deaths,if so it might be columnaris,a bacterial infection.In that case you would use Furan-2.
    I like discus cause discus like me.

ECAS member

I hate adding medications without knowing the issues, but it could be columnaris, I've lost 3 fish but over a period of time, Costia seems to kill faster. My uaru are covered in white mucus like slim, even covering their eyes. other fish seem fine, just the uaru. might try some Furan as well.

ECAS member

If you think it's a bacterial slime disease instead of a protozoan slime disease,then you wouldn't want to increase your temp;it will speed a bacterial infection up.
    I like discus cause discus like me.

ECAS member

yeah I just dropped the temp, still not sure which it is, but fish are doing ok for now