Thread: Hope for Hara

ECAS member

Hope for Hara

Hello everyone if this actually post I will elongate the intro but all you really need to know is I got more catfish and this is a copy and paste from planet catfish (still my thread)

Well as of now there are 5 Hara jerdoni remaining but now that the tank is established everyone is eating and playing I think I'll pickup the other 2-3 on Thursday!

I did a 50% water change (was going to do 25% but the water line vanished in my viewfinder ;) ) and gave them some blood worms that they devoured! all look happy and healthy and it looks like 3 females and 2 males so maybe when I have all the time in the world I'll try and breed them but for know I just want pretty- not the word I mean active... hmmm I mean interesting fish!

Here are some photos of the little buggers and their setup, let me know what you think!

Overhead
    Click here to enlarge

From the side
    Click here to enlarge

A few of them chilling in their caves
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

And a few of the bold (or hungry) ones
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Last one is horrible quality and very dark (turn up your brightness folks b-) ) but it shows one sitting calmly with a big blood worm hanging out of his mouth which is the sight of victory in my books.
    Click here to enlarge

I'll keep you all updated as best I can!

ECAS member

Tidy looking setup. Any update on these guys and your breeding project. I am especially interested in your project as I have a group of Hara hara that I hope to breed sometime.

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matthew Click here to enlarge
    Tidy looking setup. Any update on these guys and your breeding project. I am especially interested in your project as I have a group of Hara hara that I hope to breed sometime.

I do apologize, as far as updates are concerned I tend to fall off the face of the earth :P

If I had the time to do 100% water changes 4 times a day I would love to spawn them but for me these are more of the "enjoyment" catfish that I keep. The spawn mop Is really more of a Hiding mop then anything else (I would say 7 out of 9 are in there at most times). Not to mention this is only their temporary set up, the actual set up is growing in nicely and will soon be ready for them!

With all of the above said I might try spawning them in the summer, school takes away a lot of your free time...
    Dedicated Catfish Keeper

ECAS member

Ahh I see. I have yet to really put a huge effort into breeding mine as well. What method do you favor for this, I see frequent water changes will be a part of it.

ECAS member

I would large frequent water changes, live foods (or lots of frozen) and spawning trays (very similar to a spawn mops but flatter). Really well oxygenated water seems to be crucial for the species and I feel like its safe assumption that it would be more crucial for the fry but the single most important aspect is PRISTINE WATER. No nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, phosphate or anything like that.

I think I gave you this link before but here it is again, as far as I am aware the only well recorded of a spawning of any Hara sp (its jerdoni documented here but I think it would apply to other Hara). http://www.asiancatfish.com/page24/p...32/page32.html
    Dedicated Catfish Keeper