Thread: Kijiji scammer

Official ECAS vendor

Kijiji scammer

Hey everyone. Just a heads up for anyone selling fish on kijiji. I posted 3 fish ads for sale and got 3 replies from the same person within minutes. It was a basic reply asking if the fish were still available. I responded back saying yes. Then i get a reply back saying that she is very busy and doesn't have time to come look at the fish because of the nature of her business and location. Asked me to guarantee she will like them and asked how much. Didn't specify which fish. Asked me to reply asap. I did and said that i can't guarantee that she will like them and they were healthy.
    She then says, now give me your paypal account and address. With a link saying if i don't have one click here. Probably the oddest reply I've ever had on kijiji. So i said i don't use paypal and its cash only. I don't give my address until i know you are coming for fish. She wouldn't tell me when other than she is too busy.
    Once i said i don't have a paypal account and asked her which fish she was interested in i never heard back.So this to me clearly is a scam, i wont say everything but the reply was from Zlata Tudor. Asking me to reply to katecardwell74@gmail.com
    Beware! Others have recieved the same thing. Dont give her any info!
    125 gal Salt

ECAS member

I would be sure to report this to the police.

Super Moderator Chopper Challenge Champion

This happened to my girlfriend's dad with motorcycle parts.
    Likely, I talked him out of it.

Their email address was miketraore14u@gmail.com

I know I am off topic, but I figured I would warn people too since these things are happening in the maritimes. In my gf's dad case, the guy was out of the country.

Super Moderator Chopper Challenge Champion

I would forward any emails to spoof@paypal.com

Not that they can do anything since nothing actually happened, but that may help someone who fell for it.

ECAS member

I had a similar scam contact me when I was subletting my apartment 2 years ago. I think Kijiji lists it under their known scams.

I looked into it and it seems to come in various forms. For me, they texted me and even sent passport documents and proof of identification.

They said they worked on a cruise ship and wanted to transfer the first 2 months of rent to me in advance. They also wanted me to show the apartment to an associate to prove the apartment was in good condition.

Basically, they get your paypal info, accidentally overpay, ask you to send the overpaid money back, and then their account goes bunk or they file a claim against your account and you don't get the money that was originally sent... Sometimes they have someone in the city who actually comes to check out the product/apartment/etc to act as an in-between to exchange the money, and try to get you to hand the overpaid amount to the guy directly before they file the dispute and cancel the paypal payment... Regardless of how they do it, you end up giving them money under the assumption that you've already been paid, and you lose in the end.

ECAS member

Same thing happened to my partner as well. He posted his old car on Kijiji and almost immediately got a message from someone asking if it was still available and if he'd take $700 for it. A little odd for someone to buy a 14 year old car sight unseen.... Bill offered to set a time for him to look at the car... the guy never responded.
    108g Planted - Discus, Featherfin Syndos
    5.5g planted - Assorted shrimp

ECAS member

I had call today. There. Was a case brought against me by government revenue Canada they gave me case. Number there name said I could loose my home my car etc I. Could go jail really threw me for loop so I got of phone and called revenue Canada they said it was a scam and that a lot of people we being called . my sister alleged me tonight she got same call . Revenue Canada would never ever call in that manner so if you get this call hang up . I did report it .