Thread: Emersed growth

ECAS member

Emersed growth

Trying to grow out some micro sword and DHG as I have never had much luck with either in my substrate. If it works I will use in future projects.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    75 Gal Planted High Tech

ECAS member

Ok so the microsword has settled in is starting to grow well. The DHG all melted. Considering I'm not using any light just natural sunlight I'm happy with the results. Will try DHG again probably

[IMG]Click here to enlarge[/IMG]

Click here to enlarge
    75 Gal Planted High Tech

ECAS member

Filling in. All im using is natural light too. I have a tiny piece of HC left may do that emersed see if i can get it going for when the ADA gets setup

Click here to enlarge
    75 Gal Planted High Tech

Owner

Such a long project for some micro sword, but the results are great :)
    ..` A woman needs a man like a fish needs a net. ..`

ECAS member

I agree. Lots of neglect here though. I misting a week and maybe 3 hours of sunlight a day.
    75 Gal Planted High Tech

Super Moderator

I like the idea of starting it seperatly to grow rapidly then moving into the aquarium after but I have a feeling you would have been better off submersing them from the start . I suspect any growth achieved while emersed will dye back once you submerge it.
    My Aquariums *Updated Feb. 2016
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    100g- 4x Channa Pleurophthalma , 1x Erpetoichthys Calabaricus, 2x Synodontis Eupterus, Polypterus ssp.'s Lapradei, Delhezi,Ornatipinnis ,Endlicheri & Angsorii x2
    160g- Carettochelys Insculpta
    100g- Pair Channa Aurantimaculata,
    80g 1x Channa Aurantimaculata (for sale...inquire)
    70g- Solo Channa Asiatica,
    30g- 1x Channa Gachua (for sale ... Inquire)
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    35g- Pair of Channa Bleheri
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DevonC Click here to enlarge
    I like the idea of starting it seperatly to grow rapidly then moving into the aquarium after but I have a feeling you would have been better off submersing them from the start . I suspect any growth achieved while emersed will dye back once you submerge it.
    At the time i only had a couple pieces that werent doing well for me in my hight tech tank. Since i didnt need it but still wanted for future this is what i did
    75 Gal Planted High Tech

ECAS member

I'm actually wondering about going in the opposite direction. Right now my 8Gal is a total mess...it really is a total redo at this point. I have a TON on anubias in there though which I believe is perfectly viable and I would like to salvage.... there is like $100 worth easy. Despite it being covered in algae (the kind you cannot remove by just rubbing), new leaves are still being produced and the rhizome is nice and hard. I was wondering if I could take them out and bury their roots in some soil and let them grow naturally for a while (and rid them of the algae)...but I dont know enough about the whole transition thing....I dont want to try it and end up loosing them all...

Super Moderator

Anubias actually grows better emersed then it does fully submersed . I have snakehead tanks where the wood breaches the water surface and the anubias has grown up past the surface as well just attached to the wood and it's roots vine down into the water, also these tanks are allowed to evaporate down to 1/2 full over the winter and then 95% of the anubias is emersed. I find that's when they grow the fastest !

If using soil make sure not to bury the rhizome. I find Anubias does not like change so it tends to stunt and melt when moved from one tank to another, this may also happen when you take it out and try it emmersed , . In most cases I find I get best results by simply removing all leaves and just planting the rhizomes that then sprout new leaves already accustomed to the new environment .
    My Aquariums *Updated Feb. 2016
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    100g- 4x Channa Pleurophthalma , 1x Erpetoichthys Calabaricus, 2x Synodontis Eupterus, Polypterus ssp.'s Lapradei, Delhezi,Ornatipinnis ,Endlicheri & Angsorii x2
    160g- Carettochelys Insculpta
    100g- Pair Channa Aurantimaculata,
    80g 1x Channa Aurantimaculata (for sale...inquire)
    70g- Solo Channa Asiatica,
    30g- 1x Channa Gachua (for sale ... Inquire)
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    35g- Pair of Channa Bleheri
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

ECAS member

Any ideas on what better to do with them all in terms of getting all the algae off? Like I said the tank is so far gone its not worth trying to achieve a balance just to clean them up and I want to replace the substrait anyway etc.

Normally I'd just turn the light off for a couple weeks but I have some Neons in there I'm fond of and wouldn't want to darken their world that long. :)

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DevonC Click here to enlarge
    Anubias actually grows better emersed then it does fully submersed . I have snakehead tanks where the wood breaches the water surface and the anubias has grown up past the surface as well just attached to the wood and it's roots vine down into the water, also these tanks are allowed to evaporate down to 1/2 full over the winter and then 95% of the anubias is emersed. I find that's when they grow the fastest !

If using soil make sure not to bury the rhizome. I find Anubias does not like change so it tends to stunt and melt when moved from one tank to another, this may also happen when you take it out and try it emmersed , . In most cases I find I get best results by simply removing all leaves and just planting the rhizomes that then sprout new leaves already accustomed to the new environment .
    Some people spot treat with peroxide in a syringe. Never done it myself. Personaly i would just cut all that off and allow new growth
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sunsanvil Click here to enlarge
    Any ideas on what better to do with them all in terms of getting all the algae off? Like I said the tank is so far gone its not worth trying to achieve a balance just to clean them up and I want to replace the substrait anyway etc.

Normally I'd just turn the light off for a couple weeks but I have some Neons in there I'm fond of and wouldn't want to darken their world that long. :)
    75 Gal Planted High Tech

ECAS member

Just started some baby tears. Was not liking my laterite substrate

Click here to enlarge
    75 Gal Planted High Tech

ECAS member

Upgraded to little tiny green house for 3 bucks. They love it and it fits in the window perfect Click here to enlarge
    75 Gal Planted High Tech

ECAS member

Doug where did you get those trays , I would love to get some so I can start some herbs in them.

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BobWells64 Click here to enlarge
    Doug where did you get those trays , I would love to get some so I can start some herbs in them.
    Got them at the new CT in Bayers Lake. Was 3.50 for a 2 pack I believe
    75 Gal Planted High Tech