Thread: Posting for a friend to help her figure this out

ECAS member

Posting for a friend to help her figure this out

Hey guys I'm posting for a friend/coworker whom has a problem.

Ok my friend showed me a couple of pics yesterday of what looked like a greasy film on the surface of her tank water, I have no idea of her params but I have asked her to bring me a bottle of water from her tank and I will test them tonight and I also told her I'd ask here and see if we can take a guess @ what the problem is.

She lost all her fish, 60 guppies, I've been expecting this loss because she has been keeping them in a 10g, and she recently moved and left her guppies in little than a 1/4 tank of water for a day and a half with no filter, so my first guess would be ammonia buildup but the film is making me reluctantly guess bacteria of some sort? Any one have any ideas what this film could be? I'll post the parameters tonight when I get the water and test it.

ECAS member

That would be basically be metabolized amino acids and fatty acids.They do/will interfere with O2 levels getting into your water from the surface.
    I like discus cause discus like me.

ECAS member

Tell her to stop keeping fishClick here to enlarge

I was under the impression that its just protein build up from over feeding (or WAY to many fish) the way to get rid of it is to have proper surface agitation from a filter out put or powerhead. it's possible that suffocated them but the tank wans't going to do to well in the long run anyway from the sounds of things.

ECAS member

Yea I've been trying to help her in every way possible but she started keeping fish and the people who were giving her pointers... Well they are not great people period and think they know everything and gave her alot of bad advice that started bad habits for her, I at least would come here and visit a few other forums or my ask my lfs guy, before trying to answer any questions she has asked in the past if I couldn't answer based on my own experience.

Sadly she just won't listen very well now this has happened:( I feel so bad for the fish

Oh and she forgot to bring me a water sample to test today and I am not working @ all for the next couple days so its gonna be longer now b4 I can get her params :eek:

ECAS member

water movement on the surface will take care of that