Thread: The holy grail of catfish orders!

ECAS member

The holy grail of catfish orders!

Hello guys!

I going to copy paste my post from planet catfish but I will change it a little because this forum is a little different.

Hello every one!

Today marks a rather significant day for a few reasons. First and foremost its Remembrance day in Canada (Lest we forget). Secondly its my birthday! I've made it to the big 18 and in all honesty I went a little crazy celebrating by treating myself to some of those damn addictive things we celebrate on this forum. I've placed an order with Oliver Lucanus from Below water and and the following fish arrive on Friday night! The order contains a pair of Amaralia hypsiura (Two rayed banjo catfish), A group of 5 Centromochlus perugiae (Honey comb tatia) and lastly (and most expensively...) a group of 6 Pseudohemiodon apithanos (Chameleon whiptails)! I will be putting pictures on this thread once I get a chance to photograph them (with that said that said please do not expect the same quality photos Oliver takes) and I will use this thread to update their progress, growth and fingers crossed, reproduction! I can't tell you how excited I am, and for dignity related reasons I can't find it in myself to share the price just yet Click here to enlarge

Stay tuned!

Regards
    James

ECAS member

Below water? Do they have an online fish list? Some great choices above though looking forward to some pics

ECAS member

I have a few of those honey comb tatia cats.The only problem is I rarely see them.Maybe once every month or so in my planted tank with wood,would I catch a glimpse of one and usually at night.Nice cats by the way.
    I like discus cause discus like me.

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cooper Click here to enlarge
    Below water? Do they have an online fish list? Some great choices above though looking forward to some pics
    Yes, you have to request to be put on it by email (I think).

Awesome to hear others work with them blue! As a dedicated catfish keeper I rarely keep animals I see regularly so I pretty use to it. However I do plan on getting some FLuval "Prism" lights to attempt viewing their nocturnal activities. I'm so excited to get the Centromochlus though, the hope is to get them spawning and make them more available in NS and Canada as a whole. Apparently they'll spawn like guppies so fingers crossed!

Super Moderator Chopper Challenge Champion

Congrats and happy birthday

ECAS member

Happy Birthday! Can't wait to see the pics!
    108g Planted - Discus, Royal Plec, Featherfin Syndos
    5.5g planted - Assorted shrimp

ECAS member

Thanks guys!

I am so excited! I'm not sure If I will be able to post pictures the night I get them but as soon as I get the chance I'll get them up as soon as I get a chance. On a strangely coincidental note my Tropica 1.2.grow S.repens for the Fluval edge will be arriving on friday as well so it might be time actually post some photos of that tanks as well.

ECAS member

Well here we go again! same situation, from PC and modified to make sense here. Enjoy!

Here is a legend for those not into latin...
    Centromochlus perugiae: Honeycomb Tatia
    Amaralia hypsyiura: Two rayed banjo catfish
    Pseudohemiodon apithanos: Chameleon whiptail

They arrived last night and I was up until 5:00 Am with them on the drip. I put them all into the same bucket to drip and then once that was done I moved the Centromochlus perugiae into my 55 gallon and put the 6 Pseudohemiodon apithanos and the pair of Amaralia hypsiura into the 29 gallon for now, the Amaralia hypsiura arrived much larger than I thought they would be and the seller did his best to grab a male and female (one massive one missing a pectoral fin but still has the pectoral spine so it should grow back) and the "male" is a little smaller and darker. When I took them out of the bag I honestly thought they were dead! they just tumbled down to the bottom like a heavy dead leaf. I have a video of it but the Centromochlus were using the curled up Amaralia hypsiura to hide under and within. The Pseudohemiodon apithanos were all just scuttling around in the mean time. I'll get a video of them up on youtube as soon as I can but for now enjoy these pictures!

Some of the Centromochlus perugiae
    Click here to enlarge
    Close up of the pectoral serrations
    Click here to enlarge
    And one just being adorable!
    Click here to enlarge

Amaralia hypsiura
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    And the less photogenic one...
    Click here to enlarge

Here are the Little Pseudohemiodon apithanos!
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

I'll keep you all updated!

Super Moderator

Very nice! And great shots
    My Aquariums *Updated Feb. 2016
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    100g- 4x Channa Pleurophthalma , 1x Erpetoichthys Calabaricus, 2x Synodontis Eupterus, Polypterus ssp.'s Lapradei, Delhezi,Ornatipinnis ,Endlicheri & Angsorii x2
    160g- Carettochelys Insculpta
    100g- Pair Channa Aurantimaculata,
    80g 1x Channa Aurantimaculata (for sale...inquire)
    70g- Solo Channa Asiatica,
    30g- 1x Channa Gachua (for sale ... Inquire)
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    35g- Pair of Channa Bleheri
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

I really like the Centromochlus perugiae

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DevonC Click here to enlarge
    Very nice! And great shots
    Thanks Devon! I find all of them make great photo subjects (maybe not the banjos) but they are more cooperative than my plecos, those guys just leave their tales hanging out of their caves...

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by komodo182 Click here to enlarge
    I really like the Centromochlus perugiae
    Thanks komodo! I really like them too and I was so excited to be able to get my hands on them (these are the fish that led me to Oliver in the first place last year!). I do have the goal of spawning these fat torpedos (god they're fast!) so hopefully I can spread them around up here but Canada wide is the goal though. The Amaralia are the only ones I'm not really going to try and spawn but if they want to I want stop them ;)

I hope they do breed for you

ECAS member

Just thought I would give everyone a small update, besides the ich out break caused by the Centromochlus perugiae... everyone is doing just fine!

I tried offering the Pseudohemiodon apithanos and the Amaralia hypsiura some repashy but they didn't budge so I put it into the pleco tank (where it was demolished in 10 mins tops) and I'm going to try again with some frozen thawed blood worm and jumbo mysis shrimp for the Amaralia hypsiura

Anyway here are the Amaralia hypsiura acting goofy, I find they are surprisingly active, always in a new hole in the sand every morning.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Some of the Pseudohemiodon apithanos
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Last one, two species equally ignoring the repashy...
    Click here to enlarge
    Dedicated Catfish Keeper

ECAS member

Great Pics!
    108g Planted - Discus, Royal Plec, Featherfin Syndos
    5.5g planted - Assorted shrimp