Thread: African Cichlid Conditions

ECAS member

African Cichlid Conditions

Hi there:
    I am keeping Africans mostly from Malawi (ice blue and electric yellow) and I have recently moved. I am on a well and have a detailed analysis that I am attempting to post in this post if it works. I am wondering if anyone with experience with these guys could tell me what my water needs to really make them flourish. I am currently adding 1ML/Gallon of Nutrafin AquaPlus and 5ML/Gal of Nutrafin African cichlid conditioner.

Click here to enlarge

ECAS member

Me I breed them and all I do is water changes and add seachem prime and pickling salt to my tank and they got amazeing color and breed like convicts

ECAS member

And I also only feed once a day and try and only feed like flakes might give a treat or something but mostly flakes

Super Moderator

Most Africans (including the 2 you mentioned) will adapt to just about any water conditions and will do best with stable parameters vs trying to intentionally alter them to be more like the natural habitat and expose them to ph swings.

I kept and bred 5-6 Generations of both the species you mentioned as well as countless others in softer water conditions with ph of roughly 6.5 right up to very hard water with ph up to 8.6.

With that said the natural environment is hard water with high ph levels and by the look of your tap water breakdown I'd say no action is required to achieve that. If I were you I'd simply add some crushed coral or crushed oyster shell( the later being much cheaper sold as chicken grit at farm supply stores) either right into your substrate or in a bag in the filter this will help buffer the tank and keep the ph and hardness up and stable . That should be more then enough .

Hope that helps!
    My Aquariums *Updated Feb. 2016
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    100g- 4x Channa Pleurophthalma , 1x Erpetoichthys Calabaricus, 2x Synodontis Eupterus, Polypterus ssp.'s Lapradei, Delhezi,Ornatipinnis ,Endlicheri & Angsorii x2
    160g- Carettochelys Insculpta
    100g- Pair Channa Aurantimaculata,
    80g 1x Channa Aurantimaculata (for sale...inquire)
    70g- Solo Channa Asiatica,
    30g- 1x Channa Gachua (for sale ... Inquire)
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    35g- Pair of Channa Bleheri
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

ECAS member

Thank you for the advice! Maybe I overthought the chemistry a little. Going to add the coral or oyster shells asap and just keep stepping up the changes.

Sorry for putting this in the wrong section.

ECAS member

We are on well water and have some of the same fish and all we do is add prime to the water and our cichlids have amazing color and breed like crazy we feed twice a day wish you the best of luck with your fish

ECAS member

I too am on a well though 'fraid I don't have anything to add to your store of knowledge - but I am impressed with the analysis! Where did you get that done?
    I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left...
    http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=8972.0

ECAS member

Looks good robbie!
    Keep up with the weekly water changes ;-)

ECAS member

When you have a brand new well you can get it done for free at Service New Brunswick ... to get the detailed one done normally it's like $160, there is a basic one that may give the PH at least but is only intended to make sure the water is potable (no bacteria) that's about $40.

In the past I only did monthly changes (if that) but when I moved into my new house and moved these guys too I started with weekly changes and overfltering (I'm overstocked) at the advice of a friend.