Thread: Embers dying.

ECAS member

Exclamation Embers dying.

what is the problem you are having? (describe problem, symptoms and what you feel might be the cause)
    your answer: Ember tetras dying one at a time. The bulk of the school (25 left) appear unstressed, healthy and are feeding well but at any time one or two seem listless and are just hanging somewhere quiet, until eventually they are unable to keep themselves swimming upright. Several seemed skinny when they arrived but I thought they would pick up. Other than being small and slightly skinny there have been no external symptoms except for one the other night which developed a dark patch on its side which was slightly raised before going belly up.
    I am unsure of the cause but a search of other forums shows several similar cases with embers. There seems to be no consensus as to the cause. It might be a parasite or bacterial infection.

Please post picture of your tank. (this helps us see your tank set up and living conditions)
    Click here to enlarge

Have you already medicated? (if so, what and how)
    Your answer:
    I have put the whole school in a hospital tank and have begun treating with Jungle parasite clear. If there are still losses I will try a bacterial medication next.

How long have you had this fish?
    your answer: They arrived by bus a week and a half ago.

Water conditions:
    PH- 6.4
    Ammonia- 0
    Nitrite- 0
    Nitrate- 5-10 ppm
    Water temp- 24C
    What is your water change schedule (how often, how do you do it?)
    your answer: 30% twice a week use a python and water straight from tap - we are on a well and I simply check the temperature is equal to tank. Well water is pH 6.4 and 0 for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. I do notice that plants tend to pearl after a water change which leads me to believe there is a high level of CO2 in my well water.
    What is your maintenance routine like?
    your answer: I am dosing excel daily at recommended amount. I have been off work so the tank has had a lot of attention!

Tank setup info:
    Type and depth of substrate?
    your answer: Aqua soil 2" - 4"
    How long has your tank been set up?
    your answer: 2 1/2 months
    Method of aeration of water
    your answer: canister filter
    When was the last time you cleaned tank and substrate? What did you do?
    your answer: Wednesday and will do again today. I use a python and lightly vacuum any visible waste (dead leaves etc.) from substrate.
    What size tank do you have? (gallons and dimensions)
    your answer: 30 gallon 36"
    What type of filtration are you using in your tank(what is in it for media and what is the flow rate)?
    your answer: fluval 206 with sintered glass

Please post picture of the fish affected. (this helps us see what your see). A full body shot and a close up(if applicable) to the affected area.
    Tricky to photo and really nothing to see! No external symptoms other than the one with the dark patch which I suspect was a secondary bacterial infection.

Tankmates and general info :
    Tank mates and size of tank mates?
    your answer: 2 green corys about 1 1/2 inch and an oto. - all unaffected. About 7 cherry shrimp some berried and the inevitable snails - MTS, pond snails and ramshorn (which seem to be having a minor bloom at the minute - thinking of getting some assassins to keep the numbers down.)
    When was the last time you added NEW fish or plants to this tank?
    your answer: week and a half ago - the school of embers.
    Did you QT the new additions first?(if so, what did you do, and for how long)
    your answer: No - didn't have another tank at the time.
    What and how often do they eat and last time fed?
    your answer: I have been feeding a few finely crushed tetra flake twice daily supplemented with some freeze dried blood worm. The majority feed very well.

If anyone has any advice or has solved an identical or similar problem I would be grateful.
    I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left...
    http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=8972.0

ECAS member

OK so I got some pictures - there is a fish with visible symptoms - it has pale patches and is swimming erratically:

Click here to enlarge

there are also a few that are slightly more transparent than others, where the gut is very visible - I think they tend to be males as they are mostly slimmer:

Click here to enlarge

and here is a picture showing a healthy looking fish with a transparent one and the patchy erratic swimmer in the background:

Click here to enlarge

Any ideas?

ECAS member

Do you have aoft water ?

ECAS member

Yes it is fairly soft, (Soap lathers, no residues etc.) although I don't remember exactly what. I did check with test strips when I first set up the tank but I've lost the paper I wrote the results on. I do recall it was at the low end though.