Thread: Phantoms of the night

ECAS member

Phantoms of the night

Copy and paste from Planetcatfish and modified to make more sense here... what can I say, they really get me over there...

Well after losing the entire 55 tank to what I believe to be "Old Tank Syndrome" I have Finally finished cleaning everything out and getting it ready for its new inhabitants. For those who where Un aware of what was in that tank its was 7 L134, 4 P.maccus, my 6 honeycomb tatia from my order and about 25-30 tetras.

Ive Decided to get a group of 7 young Hemiancistrus subviridis (Better known as the low fin L200 or green phantom pleco) in hopes of growing out both sexes and then thinning out the group to try breeding them. The fish are coming from Spencer Jack and I'm picking them up at One fish two fish on Tuesday! I was doing the hardscape last night but all I had was wood so I will be picking up some larger rocks to make most of the hard scape. I'm going a little bit crazy with the flow so unfortunately no live plants in this tank Click here to enlarge

I plan on keeping this thread going for the duration of my keeping of Hemiancistrus subviridis and plan on using it as a blog as well as a place I can ask questions about them without making a new thread every time. I hope this will be a long and informative thread!

PS: It's gonna be pic heavyClick here to enlarge
    Dedicated Catfish Keeper

Super Moderator Chopper Challenge Champion

Best of luck with them.

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by komodo182 Click here to enlarge
    Best of luck with them.
    Thanks!

I'm pretty stoked for them. Ever since I was a kid I've always been fascinated by the "phantoms" and have always wanted to keep them. I feel like a kid in a candy shop!
    Dedicated Catfish Keeper

That's one species I only kept at work and never tried at home. So many plecos, so little time/space.

ECAS member

You just explained my life...
    Dedicated Catfish Keeper

Super Moderator

Sorry to hear about the crash , it's never fun when tanks go bad.

Good luck with the new stock!
    My Aquariums *Updated Feb. 2016
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    100g- 4x Channa Pleurophthalma , 1x Erpetoichthys Calabaricus, 2x Synodontis Eupterus, Polypterus ssp.'s Lapradei, Delhezi,Ornatipinnis ,Endlicheri & Angsorii x2
    160g- Carettochelys Insculpta
    100g- Pair Channa Aurantimaculata,
    80g 1x Channa Aurantimaculata (for sale...inquire)
    70g- Solo Channa Asiatica,
    30g- 1x Channa Gachua (for sale ... Inquire)
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    35g- Pair of Channa Bleheri
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

ECAS member

Thanks Devon!

Well today was a long day, I stopped at 1 fish 2 fish to grab some hardscape material and walked away with 17 pounds of dragon stone and a the two largest branch systems they had (after glaring through every tank over the span of an hour). I washed the sand and removed A LOT of clay and mud from the dragon stone (2 hours of swearing at my tweezers and tooth brush) and finally realized that I could not remove 100% of the clay because of how intricate the tunnel system is so it will just sit in the rock and bother me for the rest of my life. I hooked up two Fluval CP3 power heads on opposite sides of the tank and opposite elevations to try and make a "circular" current, I think. I also seeded the filter with a sponge from my banjo catfish tank but I'm still going to treat the tank with Seachem Stability. I might pick up some more dragon rock tomorrow as there are a few bare patches. Photos of tank and fish tomorrow (hopefully)!
    Dedicated Catfish Keeper

ECAS member

I picked them up today at 1 fish 2 fish!

I payed for 3-4 inch size but my largest is 2.5, but they are way to cute for it to matter (plus I like growing them out).

Anyway as promised... PICTURES

Click here to enlarge
    This is the tank, Im going to take a hammer to a spare piece of dragon stone and scatter it in the really naked areas.
    Click here to enlarge
    As many as I could get in the frame in the bucket for the drip.
    Click here to enlarge
    A dark close up
    Click here to enlarge
    Same individual with less zoom.

Unfortunately thats all I could get. the tank is still cloudy from the sand and plecos are living up to their name sake, I'm having a hard time proving they are in there. I'll keep the lights of tomorrow and then the next day I might offer them some repashy meat pie (or maybe ft bloodworms to get them started).

I'll keep you guys updated!
    Dedicated Catfish Keeper

They will grow

Super Moderator

Looking good & I like the setup ,
    My Aquariums *Updated Feb. 2016
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    100g- 4x Channa Pleurophthalma , 1x Erpetoichthys Calabaricus, 2x Synodontis Eupterus, Polypterus ssp.'s Lapradei, Delhezi,Ornatipinnis ,Endlicheri & Angsorii x2
    160g- Carettochelys Insculpta
    100g- Pair Channa Aurantimaculata,
    80g 1x Channa Aurantimaculata (for sale...inquire)
    70g- Solo Channa Asiatica,
    30g- 1x Channa Gachua (for sale ... Inquire)
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    35g- Pair of Channa Bleheri
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

Owner

They are really nice! Good luck with your breeding project....and the tank looks great :)
    ..` A woman needs a man like a fish needs a net. ..`

ECAS member

I lost all 7 of them. Like my name sake my life has recently been filled with so much chaos and craziness it has simply overwhelmed me. I got greedy, I needed to relax and figured a tank of plecos would be best for that (which it is and most likely always will be). I let emotions cloud my judgement and at the cost of 7 beautiful lives. I work at a LFS and give great advice to people that has led to many successful tanks, I think its about time I took my own advice. I'll pick up 3 tetras, wait a week and repeat until I have a shoal of 15-25. I will then proceed to add 1-2 Hemiancistrus subviridis then wait a month and add 3-4 and so until I reach a group of 7 as was the original plan. I will continue to update this thread as the tank progresses. Shame I had to let it get off to such a fickle start.
    Dedicated Catfish Keeper

ECAS member Tetris Champion

Thats too bad, hopefully everything goes better this time around.

Best of luck next time.