Thread: White Mold

ECAS member

White Mold

I just settled in to clean my tank and noticed what looks like white mould growing in both my AC110 filters.

I haven't changed anything with my setup and also haven't seen this before. Any ideas folks.

Click here to enlarge

ECAS member

If u ask me there was probably some mulm or bits of food that happened to be there and the moisture started the mold then it just spreaded!! Justba guess as I've had mold under my kids from food dropped on and not cleaned !

ECAS member

Should I be concerned?

ECAS member

I just thought of something that has changed for these 2 filters. I recently put pre filters on the intakes as my Oscar was kicking up sand. Could this have something to do with it. It is in both my HOB filters.

ECAS member

I wouldn't be too concerned but I would probably clean it off as best as u can withsome hot cloth ...and as for the pre filter is it just a sponge covering the intake or something else? If it's a sponge I use these also I find they work great and makes the bacteria grow much more "colonized" may be the word in the sponge in the filter!

Super Moderator

It's nothing to worry about , something must have splashed up their and the mold grew on the residue.

As for the prefilters, It is possible that the Prefilters might have slowed flow just enough to lower the water level in the filter exposing an area that was previously submerged or partially submerged and the mold took hold on the redidue left behind when the water level dropped.

Either way it's harmless just wipe it away .
    My Aquariums *Updated Feb. 2016
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    100g- 4x Channa Pleurophthalma , 1x Erpetoichthys Calabaricus, 2x Synodontis Eupterus, Polypterus ssp.'s Lapradei, Delhezi,Ornatipinnis ,Endlicheri & Angsorii x2
    160g- Carettochelys Insculpta
    100g- Pair Channa Aurantimaculata,
    80g 1x Channa Aurantimaculata (for sale...inquire)
    70g- Solo Channa Asiatica,
    30g- 1x Channa Gachua (for sale ... Inquire)
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    35g- Pair of Channa Bleheri
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

ECAS member

Thanks Devon, I did wipe it off and have been keeping an eye to see if it comes back. Something odd I noticed as well is that in both ac110's the mild is only growing on the side farthest from the intake at the top of the media basket. Exact same spot on both filters.
    could it have anything to do with the sponges that were added to the intakes? Maybe something not getting in the filter that should be. Just a shot in the dark.