Thread: Help! Managing worms in a Shrimp tank :(

ECAS member

Help! Managing worms in a Shrimp tank :(

Hey Folks!

Any of my fellow shrimp keepers have any advice to keep the worms under control? Anyone able to keep shrimp only without acquiring worms in the process? HOW?!!!

It currently houses a handful of CPD's (who do not seem interested in eating any worms), a colony of rabbit snails and a lot of cherry shrimp. Last night I had to tear down the whole tank because the worms had gotten so out of control, I had been starving the tank for a few days hoping the inhabitants would start to eat the worms but all that did was make the worms come out in full force looking for food.

Click here to enlarge

I am going to do my best to keep the feeding down as much as I can but it's difficult with this particular tank. Anything I can put in the tank to eat the worms will likely also eat some shrimp or snails while they are there so I am at a bit of a loss. I love this tank so much but I can't stand looking at those disgusting worms at feeding time.

So, if anyone has any advice for keeping these worms under control I desperately need your help!!

Thanks in advance!!
    46 gallon Tanganiykan community
    10 Gallon tall shrimp and rabbit snails

ECAS member

So after doing some research, it looks like using no-planaria will kill the worms for me, but will it also kill my rabbit snails? Seems like people use it to kill pest snails as well. Has anyone used this product before?

ECAS member

Prazipro might work better
    90 gallon Discus community
    65 gallon tall SW under construction to be setup this fall

ECAS member

My ember tetras and pencil fish gobble up any nematodes they see and seem fairly indifferent to the shrimp - at least I never saw them eat one (although I'm sure a shrimplet would be a tasty snack) If the tank is well planted some of the the shrimplets will probably make it past snack size!
    I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left...
    http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=8972.0

ECAS member

This is the Universe begging you to keep catfish!

Look into Corydoras pygmaeus, Corydoras hastatus and Corydoras habrosus

a odder catfish but still available would be Erethistes jerdoni

You could also look into some of the smaller loaches that make up the pangio family (kulhi loaches).
    Dedicated Catfish Keeper

ECAS member

Thanks everyone for the tips. I was surprised the CPD's didn't snack on the worms at all, even after not feeding them for days they seemed uninterested in the worms. I'm afraid that anything that would eat the worms would also eat my baby shrimps or pick on my precious snails lol. It's only a 10 gallon tall so I don't have much room for adding fish. Would the Corydoras not pick on the shrimps and snails? Still thinking about chemical treatments too if anyone has any experience feel free to share!

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Magnolious Click here to enlarge
    So after doing some research, it looks like using no-planaria will kill the worms for me, but will it also kill my rabbit snails? Seems like people use it to kill pest snails as well. Has anyone used this product before?
    I kept shrimp for a while before getting out of the hobby but I would highly recommend that you use care with products like that. Often times they are just invert killers in general(despite the label) which can include your shrimp. I used to use the fluval strata substrate and I would occasionally physically remove the worms myself. (which can be tricky with shrimp in the same area.) Which a low power gravel vac.

Its harsh but if you have worms it means your overfeeding. Shirmp don't need much to eat at all. They are very efficient scavengers. Planaria and shrimp tanks tend to go hand in hand till you find that balance of feeding that the shrimp need the extra will breed worms. I would often bait out my worms in order to remove them.

Here is the standard defacto methods to remove them when the tank is heavily infested.
    ----------------------------
    If a tank is found to have planaria, they can be controlled by a good vacuuming of the gravel and better tank maintenance. To remove planaria from a more heavily infested tank:

1. Set out bait like meat in a mesh bag. Remove the bait a few hours after the lights go out on the tank. It should be covered with planaria. Throw away and repeat until the population goes down.

2. Add planaria eating fish to the tank if possible. Such species include the paradise fish, betta, Pelvicachromis pulcher and many species of gourami.

3. Vacuum the gravel very well and do a 50% water change. Often, planaria proliferate when the tank is too dirty. This will remove not only some planaria but their food source as well.

4. Reduce the foods added to the tank. Planaria often proliferate if too much food is provided.
    ================

Worst case you can also remove the substrate itself. (aka remove the shrimp first, tedious I know, then remove the substrate and the worms physically, then do a heavy water change after things have settled, and re introduce the shrimp)

Something else that is a bit of a double-edged sword. Lower the temperatures of the tank. This will slow their breeding rate, but it will also slow the breeding rate of the shrimp.

I hope all this can help in someway! I am always glad to hear somone else is picking up shrimping (the worst addiction next to salt water!) If you have any other questions email me!