Thread: SICK DISCUS

ECAS member

SICK DISCUS

I have 2 Discus covered in white , looks like a fungus, does anyone know a good medication.

Super Moderator

Any pictures?? Water parameters? Details of any kind will help.
    My Aquariums *Updated Feb. 2016
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    100g- 4x Channa Pleurophthalma , 1x Erpetoichthys Calabaricus, 2x Synodontis Eupterus, Polypterus ssp.'s Lapradei, Delhezi,Ornatipinnis ,Endlicheri & Angsorii x2
    160g- Carettochelys Insculpta
    100g- Pair Channa Aurantimaculata,
    80g 1x Channa Aurantimaculata (for sale...inquire)
    70g- Solo Channa Asiatica,
    30g- 1x Channa Gachua (for sale ... Inquire)
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    35g- Pair of Channa Bleheri
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

ECAS member

That is certainly a lack of info for solid advice.But sometimes look like fungal infections can be bacterial.In that case Furan 2 should work.And that's a guess.
    I like discus cause discus like me.

ECAS member

Temp. is 82 degrees, nitrite 0.1, and ammonia is 0.0 , 3 large 2 year old discus in same tank with same tank mates. I lost a juvie Red Leopard about a month ago that was flying around the tank and bumping into everything and then it died. I am thinking it is External Bacteria but I a m not sure Treated Mon. and Wed, with Bifuran+ but fish are not eating. 8 inch Blue Turq. laying on bottom, 2 Blue Cobalts sitting in corner not moving.

ECAS member

You need to treat bacterial infections for for a least 10-14 days in most cases.If that is what it is.Seems your not new to discus.So I'm thinking you're doing lots of large WC's.Sometimes infections are introduced by other new fish and plants and sometimes a build up of bacteria in your tank can cause discus to become sick.That doesn't take long if you have plants and a lots of substrate;in a discus tank it needs vacuuming quite often .That being said I have plants and thin layer of substrate in my tanks.You didn't mention how much water you change and how often.You said nothing about the nitrates.Can you provide a pic?

ECAS member

I bought a red leopard at P.U. in Sept. which was healthy at first but then got sick in Jan. and died but I also added plants for the first time a couple of weeks ago an I am getting rid of them now. I don't test for nitrates and I change 20% weekly and run 2 filters.

ECAS member

20% weekly WC for discus just won't cut it.Not even a 50% a week won't be enough.Try 50% or more every day for a while.If your tank is big,say 75 gal.you might get away with two 75% WC's weekly.No less than that to keep them healthy.They might be ok for a while with less clean water but they won't be happy in the long haul.Most pet stores don't tend to their discus.They need feedings 3-6 times a day when young and large daily WC"s.If not they will never get their grow time back and will always be stunted or small.Pet shop discus start looking dark after being at the shops for a while from what I have seen.A sign that the water is not being changed.And some of them stay 2-3" for weeks if not months.Get your discus from a reliable source.