Thread: Current state of aquarium dealers in the maritimes?

ECAS member

Current state of aquarium dealers in the maritimes?

Couldn't figure out which forum branch to put this under so feel free to to prune and graft... Ok, so what is the current state of shops/businesses for us more discerning aquarists right now? Riverscape used to be the cream but after their hiatus it seems they want to be a wholesaler now, selling only to "independent pet retailers" in the maritimes....but who would they be? I didn't know there were any others to speak of (we of course have nothing in Fredericton). I had heard of a place in Halifax which was supposedly going to do the whole ADA thing but that never materialized (little wonder). Any suggestions of who I could contact and start a relationship with would be much appreciated. I hate mail ordering anything, and when I have to I prefer to deal as close as possible to home, especially when we start talking about shipping living creatures and even plants.

Club Supporter

I second this.

Super Moderator

There is nothing in moncton now other then the big chains .

Your best bet might be to watch Riverscapes Facebook page , according to his page their first order has arrived and he's begun to lost shops that are using his services.

https://m.facebook.com/RiverscapeAquarium

Hope that helps,
    My Aquariums *Updated Feb. 2016
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    100g- 4x Channa Pleurophthalma , 1x Erpetoichthys Calabaricus, 2x Synodontis Eupterus, Polypterus ssp.'s Lapradei, Delhezi,Ornatipinnis ,Endlicheri & Angsorii x2
    160g- Carettochelys Insculpta
    100g- Pair Channa Aurantimaculata,
    80g 1x Channa Aurantimaculata (for sale...inquire)
    70g- Solo Channa Asiatica,
    30g- 1x Channa Gachua (for sale ... Inquire)
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    35g- Pair of Channa Bleheri
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

ECAS member

Well there is Derek's reef shop, he's a great guy. Doesn't carry fresh but might be open to helping order stuff for you...

Super Moderator Chopper Challenge Champion

I'd be ordering from Spencer Jack if I still lived in Fredericton

Club Supporter

There is a tiny local shop here in Miramichi but the stock is limited, and they aren't "fish people". However, they can be pretty good with trying to locate specific things for you. Their fish quality is definitely better than the large chain stores. I'm kind of hoping that they will eventually get fish from Riverscape, but I am not sure they are aware that he is wholesaling.

ECAS member

There are a few ppl that breed and sell here in NB and in NS
    Kats Aquatics in NB (Facebook )
    Fancy Fish. In NS ( Facebook)
    And lots of ppl on here as well

Club Supporter

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sunsanvil Click here to enlarge
    Couldn't figure out which forum branch to put this under so feel free to to prune and graft... Ok, so what is the current state of shops/businesses for us more discerning aquarists right now? Riverscape used to be the cream but after their hiatus it seems they want to be a wholesaler now, selling only to "independent pet retailers" in the maritimes....but who would they be? I didn't know there were any others to speak of (we of course have nothing in Fredericton). I had heard of a place in Halifax which was supposedly going to do the whole ADA thing but that never materialized (little wonder). Any suggestions of who I could contact and start a relationship with would be much appreciated. I hate mail ordering anything, and when I have to I prefer to deal as close as possible to home, especially when we start talking about shipping living creatures and even plants.
    They will sell to individuals at Riverscape, you just have to sign up for a free membership.

Riverscape Aquarium

As you know, Riverscape Aquarium has built up a reputation as a reliable provider of quality freshwater aquarium fish and plants. Now that we move into 2016, we are relaunching the business as a wholesale/importing business. We’ll focus on providing the same quality fish and plants to independent pet retailers throughout the Maritimes. We are excited that by working with these independent stores we’ll be able to make the Maritimes the best place in Canada for the freshwater aquarium hobby! Follow us on Facebook to find out which stores will be participating and to find out more about the species we’ll be importing.
    Although our primary focus will be on wholesale/importing, we are aware that Riverscape Aquarium’s core customer base in the Greater Moncton Area is without an independent freshwater fish store. For this reason we’ll be opening a “Retail Club” for our local customers. It’ll be like a mini Costco for Aquarium fish. We’ll offer freshwater fish, aquarium plants and some bulk supplies. Just like Costco, you’ll have to sign up (no fee though).
    Additional information about the “Retail Club” to follow soon.

January 18 at 6:32pm Moncton, NB, Canada Public

ECAS member

I got the impression that is meant only for Monctonians in that when I ask if people outside could join the club, the answer was "there will be different retailers carrying our fish. We will make these retailers known as they come." Also, it sounds like they are doing fish only, no actual aquariums etc.

Club Supporter

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sunsanvil Click here to enlarge
    I got the impression that is meant only for Monctonians in that when I ask if people outside could join the club, the answer was "there will be different retailers carrying our fish. We will make these retailers known as they come." Also, it sounds like they are doing fish only, no actual aquariums etc.
    Well, that sounds like he is biting his nose off to spite his face or however that saying goes.

Super Moderator

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Celidh Click here to enlarge
    Well, that sounds like he is biting his nose off to spite his face or however that saying goes.
    Not if you consider that they are now primarily a wholesale business.
    My Aquariums *Updated Feb. 2016
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    100g- 4x Channa Pleurophthalma , 1x Erpetoichthys Calabaricus, 2x Synodontis Eupterus, Polypterus ssp.'s Lapradei, Delhezi,Ornatipinnis ,Endlicheri & Angsorii x2
    160g- Carettochelys Insculpta
    100g- Pair Channa Aurantimaculata,
    80g 1x Channa Aurantimaculata (for sale...inquire)
    70g- Solo Channa Asiatica,
    30g- 1x Channa Gachua (for sale ... Inquire)
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    35g- Pair of Channa Bleheri
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

I've messaged Riverscape asking about if they will be bringing in tanks for the public as well. See what their answer is.

Didn't really get a straight answer. They suggested I go to Critters since they supply them now.

ECAS member

Hi gang. Just to update this topic, have any new independents popped up anywhere in NB? Freddy still has PetSmart and nothing else.