Thread: 5 Gal Planted Shrimp Tank

ECAS member

Cool 5 Gal Planted Shrimp Tank

Hey guys, I have a 5 gallon tank here that's been cycling a few weeks while I tried to decide what to do with it. I think I've decided to do a planted shrimp tank. The light on this hood is terrible and not really wanting to invest in an upgrade on this tank so any plants I went with would have to be able to grow in low light. Anyone have any experience with a small planted shrimp tank and want to throw me some advice? Anything helps!

Club Supporter

Not too toot my own horn, but I've done a lot of shrimp tanks. Take a look here.

http://www.eastcoastaquariumsociety.....php?160-Nuggs

For low light I'd say Anubis and Java fern try to find the miniature versions.

ECAS member

Plants can go with Java moss and fern ,westira ,moss balls , crypts, to start :)
    What shrimp you going with

ECAS member

I like RCS a lot but they seem to be hard to find in the Halifax area. I saw a kijiji ad for 10 for $15 so I might bite on that

Club Supporter

I've dealt with that lady before. They're not high quality reds but for that price you can't go wrong.

No one else store wise sells cherry shrimp regularly. PU carries them sometimes.

Your other option once it warms up a bit is shrimp fever.

ECAS member

We have coming in BCS ,RCS (SS and SSS) , ultra red cherries and red rillis

ECAS member

I have a question about your lights on the 5 gallon. Are they the the screw in type or the single short florescent? If they are the screw in pick up a couple of the spiral fluorescents in the right light spectrum and you will be able to grow quite a few medium light and a few high light plants in your tank.

ECAS member

I believe it is a single small screw in type. I never considered going to a spiral flourescent. Can I run just a normal household CFL with the same size base? Or does it have to be a marine type bulb?

ECAS member

Just a normal CFL bulb thats what I use in my shrimp tanks

ECAS member

Right on! That should give me quite a bit more light! So on Monday I added 15 young RCS that I found locally on kijiji. Don't have any plants yet though. I moved a moss ball from one of my other tanks in there to start, but it seems like the local stores in HRM charge an arm and a leg for live plants. I think it's going to be a slow time evolution.

ECAS member

Yes they can be pricey but for the price of the plants it is worth the cost go see Matt at 1 fish 2 fish in Dartmouth he knows his stuff

ECAS member

I was lucky enough to find red rilli shrimp at the PU near 1 fish 2 fish. They are doing well breeding in my 10g. For those who might want to invest in higher quality shrimp, I found this web site, but haven't ordered from them, yet.

http://www.shrimpfever.com/
    Optimist: someone who figures that taking a step backward after taking a step forward is not a disaster, it's more like a cha-cha.

Club Supporter

I have dealt with shrimpfever multiple times. Great selection and good stock. The only caveat is wait until warm weather to ship. And use next day shipping.

ECAS member

Tommy is great live shrimp fever

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Nuggs Click here to enlarge
    Not too toot my own horn, but I've done a lot of shrimp tanks. Take a look here.

http://www.eastcoastaquariumsociety.....php?160-Nuggs

For low light I'd say Anubis and Java fern try to find the miniature versions.
    Are you still doing any shrimp stuff now nuggs or just converted to the 20g salt? From what forum creeping I could do seems like just the salt.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fish lady Click here to enlarge
    Tommy is great live shrimp fever
    I can also vouch! The only issues I had with Tommy were due to the weather. I did a few group orders through him, and will say the shipping is a bit pricey if you were going to be ordering alone so I would try and get a few more people in on it.

I wanted to try and find my 5 gal shrimp tank thread but couldn't. Out of all my tanks my most successful breeder was the bluevelvets, and I did almost NOTHING to that little 5 gal and they bred very happily! I had barely any filtration too! shrimp do like really low flow! The tank got natural light only, which is usually a no no but worked fine here. I just had a bit of java moss, fluval stratum and a couple rocks for them to hide in!

Breeding shrimp can be fun and profitable! Most importantly you will be helping keep a wider variety of shimp in Atlantic Canada! Which is good! It sucks needing to order shrimp from central canada or elsewhere because there are no varieties being bred locally!

You can also get into breeding Caridina for color once you get more comfortable! Like look how cool this one is! It is a Royal Blue X Blue Bolt!

Click here to enlarge

lately I am feeling like getting a tank back up and running more and more, but I am also trying to move to Victoria BC so that is the opposite of what I should be trying to do haha. I poke around PU and look for shimp sometimes but they almost never have anything in, and nothing exotic!

PU will order shrimp in for you though sometimes. Which is good because they cover the shipping/DOA that way!

Club Supporter

I have no tanks at all right now.

Moving to Ottawa in July, so I shut everything down early to make it easy.

I'll likely setup either a planted shrimp nano or a SW nano up there.

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Nuggs Click here to enlarge
    I have no tanks at all right now.

Moving to Ottawa in July, so I shut everything down early to make it easy.

I'll likely setup either a planted shrimp nano or a SW nano up there.
    Ottawa eh. When we lived in Petawawa we use to go to Big Als in Ottawa. Then an RCD guy opened up a little Shop right in Petawawa. It was kinda nice
    75 Gal Planted High Tech