Thread: Importing Fish ( All You Need To Know )

ECAS member

Post Importing Fish ( All You Need To Know )

Well since I have spent a few hours talking with the CBSA and CFIA I can 100% guarantee import permit is not required on my end to ship in Tropheus. So to clear things up 100% and make things easy for everyone I have decided to break it down.

If your fish is not on the susceptible species list it is actually quite easy to import. The person claiming the fish only needs to have an invoice and a 1553 ( Importer's Declaration of Ownership) Located HERE or a 5685 located HERE

Location of source is HERE

As long as the Sender of the fish has their Import/Export license and the correct information listed BELOW you should have no problems at all picking your fish up at the airport.

The name and address of the exporter
    The name and address of the importer
    The taxonomic name of the aquatic animal, the life stage, and the number being imported, if more than one
    The country in which the aquatic animal was born or where the germplasm came from and whether the animals are from captivity or in the wild.

You can also fill out a 5588 Located HERE to be extra prepared in case the importer has not done so.

Or find them in this list at THIS location

You can also go to the AIRS system on the CFIA website located HERE and enter the information ( Fish name usually Latin )

EG: If your ordering Tropheus ( and sub species ) enter Tropheus ( Duboisi )
    Then Click View on the species your importing
    Then in the scroll down menu click the origin ( country it's from ) Then GO
    Then in the second scroll down menu click the second origin ( since Duboisi was used as the example I would either choose Burundi ) This step can be difficult and may need some research to find out where exactly your fish are collected from. Then GO

A new page will show up showing/telling you if you need an import license , Health inspection papers etc etc etc. The AIRS system is the exact same system used by customs to verify everything.

Below is the page you will see

Click here to enlarge

If this does not clear up any confusion or disbelieve then I do not know what will. I hope this has helped clear up issues and concerns for anyone wanting to get fish shipped in

Below I have used another example of a fish on the susceptible species list

Click here to enlarge

So with that said if anyone else is interested in getting fish with me here is the info ordering from LAA Little Africa Aquatics and their reputation is by far the best in the US.

here is his site http://littleafricaaquatics.com

I will be spending around 600 US so if anyone else wants some top notch Trophs or other wild caught or F1's just post here or PM me as I would love to have a little help on the shipping.

I think it is about time we get some amazing quality Trophs to the east coast

ECAS member

Just realized that the second example did not display correctly so here is a better quality image

Click here to enlarge

ECAS member

Here is one as well for the case of Discus

I also Noticed in my first post the link to the AIRS location was not working , unforutnally I can no longer edit my first post so here is the proper location http://www.inspection.gc.ca/plants/i.../1300127627409

Click here to enlarge

ECAS member

Your welcome.

Club Supporter

Thanks for putting this together Bob, I am going to sticky this.

ECAS member

Thank you, Sorry if my one reply sounded snotty , just kinda got a little irritated that there was so many views and not 1 comment or thanks for providing information that seemed pretty critically needed as there was a lot of confusion on this subject.

ECAS member

Did you ever get your Tropheus and if so did they arrive at the Halifax airport from out of the country?
    I like discus cause discus like me.

ECAS member

Great Info. thanks for the post.
    Do you ever get the Tropheus?

ECAS member

Here is the deal with my Tropheus. Just for an update

I did purchase some Tropheus from someone in Florida and they did arrive at the Halifax airport claiming was easy showed them the invoice and the AIRS sheet saying no permit etc was required paid my Taxes etc. easy as pie.

I am still however waiting to arrange another shipment from someone which does not reside in an area that is close to an airport that has Air Canada or West Jet cargo which unfortunately sucks big time as that was my huge purchase of Tropheus.

So buyer beware make sure the seller has a means to get them to Halifax if not you are going to be screwed and encounter problems, Getting them into Canada is not the problem at all it is getting them to the east coast that is the problem because a lot of U.S. airlines do not have the rights for shipping air cargo here.

What happens is an airline will purchase rights from a Canadian airline like Air Canada or West Jet to ship to Major Canadian port cities and Halifax is usually not on that list. West Jet did say if they received enough interest from here the board would start discussing it at meeting to perhaps add Halifax into those deals.
    For now air freight to Halifax just sucks from most U.S. airlines and from sellers that can and will ship to Canada. As for ground freight I am not sure I am looking into that now , The seller has told me he can guarantee me no DOA with a 26 Hrs transit time anything after that is risky but he has had fish sent in transit up to 32 Hrs and not DOA. Where they a little worse for wear yes but nothing that could be be handled if acclimated properly or quarantined.

so that is basically where I am at now with my major purchase.

So moral of the story if you find someone in the U.S. that will ship make sure their airport has West jet or Air Canada Cargo and can get them to Halifax or you will be stuck like me trying to figure something out. So far the closest he can get them is Toronto , Montreal, Vancouver or any border city by Air.

ECAS member

Thanks for the info.What strain of tropheus do you have.I had a tank of Kaiser II a few years ago.Tropheus are an amazing species.

ECAS member

I have a small breeding group of WC Tropheus Murago ( Tanzania ) ( you will not find anyone in Canada with these ) if you do they are not wild caught or F1's as they are an extremely endangered species, I was extremely lucky to even get them. Before someone jumps on me about ordering/importing endangered species, I did not order them or have them imported they were from a guy in Florida who had them before they went endangered and I just happened to be at the right place right time and snagged them up.

and the group of 25 wild caught I am waiting on are Tropheus Brichardi Mpimbwe red cheek which is another extremely hard to get Troph especially in Canada.

ECAS member

Lucky you and very nice.Hopefully they'll be babies soon.

ECAS member

Why don't you just ship to Maine and drive over to collect your fish? We did it in the past with orders from TUIC and others. If you really want the fish... you'll go that extra mile.

I live on the border so there's not much I can't get. I ship to Detroit cross the border and voila. But when I lived on Hfx we drove to Maine. Crazy fish people do crazy things.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
    Windsor Cichlid & Catfish Group

Video and blog updates on my site - J's Aquaria

ECAS member

Because one would need a passport to get across the border , something I do not have, as well as the use of a second vehicle to actually go while the wife is working.