Thread: Manten stone alternatives?

ECAS member

Manten stone alternatives?

Was just chatting with the ADA importer... he recommends about 6lb of Manten stone for a 30liter....which is like $80+!

Any suggestions for SAFE alternatives? Do garden centers sell anything I can ask for by name?

Although I am LOATH to set foot in Pets Unlimited they used to at least have lava rock chunks but I checked a couple weeks ago and they, literally, are not stocking any hardscape at all.

ECAS member

The only place that I know of that is stocking any hardscape stuff in the Halifax area is 1 fish 2 fish not sure about the saltwater stores though, you could probably just collect local rocks.

I am also not sure about what the rock they sell is actually called. They make their own names for it so they can slap a hefty price on it. I am no even sure what landscaping or garden stores even sell rock in the Halifax area let alone NB

Super Moderator

I wouldn't pay for rocks , I collect my own from local rivers Most are safe from rivers, if collecting from the land just avoid anything that shows lines that look like rust , if your running LOW ph/black water type setup you might want to avoid limestone type rocks. If unsure you can test with vinegar to see if it reacts.
    My Aquariums *Updated Feb. 2016
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    100g- 4x Channa Pleurophthalma , 1x Erpetoichthys Calabaricus, 2x Synodontis Eupterus, Polypterus ssp.'s Lapradei, Delhezi,Ornatipinnis ,Endlicheri & Angsorii x2
    160g- Carettochelys Insculpta
    100g- Pair Channa Aurantimaculata,
    80g 1x Channa Aurantimaculata (for sale...inquire)
    70g- Solo Channa Asiatica,
    30g- 1x Channa Gachua (for sale ... Inquire)
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    35g- Pair of Channa Bleheri
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DevonC Click here to enlarge
    I wouldn't pay for rocks , I collect my own from local rivers Most are safe from rivers, if collecting from the land just avoid anything that shows lines that look like rust , if your running LOW ph/black water type setup you might want to avoid limestone type rocks. If unsure you can test with vinegar to see if it reacts.
    I'm scared to DEATH to grab something out of the Nashwalk. :)