Thread: Loosening all my cardinalsI .

ECAS member

Loosening all my cardinalsI .

I had 10 cardinals now only three left ,I tested for amonia and nitrite both at 0 ph is 7.2
    Would that high ph kill them .every morning I find two in filter uptake . .? Any one have any idea what could be problem they seem fine eating then just die.

Club Supporter

Did you test the nitrates? Where do you get the Cardinal tetras from? The PH isn't too too high for them.
    100g CA/SA Cichlids 77g Jaguar Cichlid
    40g SA Cichlids 36g Convict fry

ECAS member

Yes nitrites at 0 from Afk reef in Halifax . Would change in temature cause. Them to die .? when I set up my heater it was to high at 93 I quickly fixed that set at 84 then down to 82 .

Club Supporter

I meant nitrate with an a.
    100g CA/SA Cichlids 77g Jaguar Cichlid
    40g SA Cichlids 36g Convict fry

ECAS member

Nitrate at 0 thinking it must been 93 temp because it was little while befor I noticed it was to high then I only lowered to 84 now I feel awful .

Super Moderator Chopper Challenge Champion

Your nitrates most likely are not 0. Even my tap water is higher than that.

ECAS member

Just going by chart comes with test .my. Tap water is quite good

Super Moderator Chopper Challenge Champion

Nitrogen is somewhere in your tank, so its unlikely that you have 0ppm of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate unless you have a large refugium or something for plants.

ECAS member

how long did you have them before they started to die what other fish are housed with them??

ECAS member

I had then for about a month so I am pretty sure it wAs the tempatures isue my seberial coreys are fine and my rams . Not sure about my bushey nose pleco as he's no were to be seen . I just made a mistake set it at 93 insteD of 83 Took me while to notice it was to warm .

Owner

Hey Melita, you say you had the cardinals for a month... is that how long this system has been running?
    When you did your water tests, did you test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Most kits should come with all 3.

Out of curiosity, do you use Prime as a dechlorinator? Sometimes that can mess with the ammonia readings.

Aside from being stuck to the filters was there any physical signs? Like bloating or sores of some kind?
    ..` A woman needs a man like a fish needs a net. ..`

ECAS member

It has been running for about month and half I did them befor I put fish in and again after I descovered problem .i tested for ammonia at o . I do not use any thing in my water I did add florish but very small amount I did not notice any sign s of sickness they seemed fine were eating nixt thing I know they were stuck in water intake like two at time I have three left that seem ok .i tested for nitrite not nitrate as I don't have that one right now I did do a fair size water change and will do another .
    i

Owner

Water changes are a good start for sure. how often have you been doing water changes and how much at a time?

ECAS member

Been doing them every week befor I put the new discus in ever other day so far I would say not guite half last time about a third Did not want to cause to big change .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ECAS member

Your tank doesn't seem to be cycled yet.You should always be able to measure some nitrates in a cycled tank.Maybe your tank was too big and not enough fish in it to allow it to cycle fully.How big is the tank?When you change your water do you see micro bubbles?These can suffocate fish.Cardinals are also very sensitive to nitrites.It may have raised after adding the discus.Throw the flourish out.
    I like discus cause discus like me.

ECAS member

I would suspect it is the temp, 92 is quite high considering the large river systems they come from are never over 80 degrees and are usually around 76 or low 70's, and having the temp at 90 create serious damage to their organs! Also PH is never over 6.5 so high PH causing added stress on top of the extremely high temps! That is the reason behind their death!

Owner

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blue lagoon Click here to enlarge
    Your tank doesn't seem to be cycled yet.You should always be able to measure some nitrates in a cycled tank.Maybe your tank was too big and not enough fish in it to allow it to cycle fully.How big is the tank?When you change your water do you see micro bubbles?These can suffocate fish.Cardinals are also very sensitive to nitrites.It may have raised after adding the discus.Throw the flourish out.
    Im with blue lagoon, that was a very light bio load in a 90 gallon tank. Adding 5 large discus who are heavy, messy eaters could cause some issues in a tank that is not fully cycled.

I have kept Cardinals in high temps along with Discus. They can tolerate high temps and higher PH in my experience anyway.

How are the remaining 3 doing?

Official ECAS vendor

I agree. most problems can be cured with water changes, not allways but as a general rule. The cards will handle the warmer temps. Not 92 for any length of time but certainly discus and cards together at 84-86 shouldn't be a problem. I would think a cycle issue as well, and stable PH is key. I wouldn't worry about 7.2 just don't fluctuate up and down.
    125 gal Salt