Thread: Shrimp Eggs

ECAS member

Shrimp Eggs

Hey guys, thought you might appreciate a couple pictures I took today. I've had this 5 gallon shrimp tank setup for a couple months now. Planned on planting it but never got around to it. Thought I spotted one the other day with some eggs starting in her belly, and today during a water change I found her scattering the eggs around the tank. Seemed like some of the others were following her around to eat the eggs, is this common?Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Club Supporter

I"m not sure about common as I'm not a shrimp expert but shrimp usually hold their eggs until they develop completely then let live shrimplets go. If she is dropping her eggs, she may not have been ready to carry them or something.

Of course I'm sure someone else has more info than I do.

ECAS member

You may be right, I thought she was dropping them but she still appears to be carrying most of them. I can visually see two of them on the moss ball but that's about it

ECAS member

What celidh wrote is correct ..... For most shrimps that i know of anyways! They are born as they come out

ECAS member

Thanks for sharing this!

Do you have live plants in the tank as well as the fake one pictured? Live plants are almost a necessity for breeding shrimp. The adults, (and especially the babies) will feed off the micro algae/organisms on the plants.

Sometimes first time mom's drop their eggs. It just happens. Stress can cause them to drop eggs as well. If the shirmp was berried when you got it and was recently introduced to the tank that can be cause to drop the eggs.

ECAS member

The only live "plant" in there right now is a moss ball. Kind of ran out of money set aside for the aquariums so I've been waiting for my 25 gal planted tank to grow a little more so I can move some clippings into the shrimp tank. Not sure if it's going to work though. Cheaped out on he substrate and just put your standard fishbowl multicolored gravel in there. Going to try it but might be hard to grow anything