Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My poor plants

ECAS member

My poor plants

My plants are not doing will at all my java fern has turned brown I see nothing actually growing
    only a couple plants are looking ok ,thinking I should do co2 but I have no idea were to start I don't want something high tech is there something one can do . I have pool filter sand and using tabs .

ECAS member

Java fern actually turns brown and sprouts new leaves off them brown leaves if I remember correctly! But proper lighting can do wonders!! Pending on your tanks size you should doe about 1.5 watt per gallon up to 50 gallon anything bigger 2 wats per gallon is not bad !! You should aim for 6500 k ( kalvins) in a daylight spectrum of some type and a bulb to help sprouting and bush out the plants at a lower spectrum of about 4800kish ..... If I'm wrong plz don't hear tar to correct me haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ECAS member

No you are probably right me led light is not enough and I think it is time I tried something. Else I have a glow light but it is only 38 inches and my tank is 48 any one welling to trade. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ECAS member

Can any one suggest a co2 system that would not cost a lot ..? We're is best place to buy one.?

Club Supporter

Buy seachem excel, it is a liquid c02 alternative. Pick it up at at a pet store or Amazon.ca Add it daily and they will bounce right back.
    100g CA/SA Cichlids 77g Jaguar Cichlid
    40g SA Cichlids 36g Convict fry

ECAS member

Ok I am gonna try that thanks .

ECAS member

Is this your 90 gal. discus tank?If so a double T5 would work on that tank.A 90 gal. is rather deep.Java fern should grow without anything added including the root tabs.Also ,I'd stay clear of any added CO2 in a discus tank.Here is a pic of my first planted discus tank;all low teck.Just lots of fresh water and a lot of substrate cleaning is needed.

Click here to enlarge

Don't go putting chemicals in with your discus!!!!
    I like discus cause discus like me.

ECAS member

I had plants growing before with no c02 but may be they just are not good plants because they just turned brown think I may have black alge as will go a Waite a bit see. If anything. Starts growing .

ECAS member

Excel is not a CO2 alternative, it's a low-toxicity alternative carbon source...

I nitpick the distinction because Excel will melt sensitive plants, and it will never produce comparable results to CO2 injection because it uses completely different pathways and uptake mechanisms.

In the old days, people used to dose their tanks with vodka... That's basically what Excel is... A safe alternative to vodka-dosing...

They also used to dose tanks with seltzer water... That's a better comparison to CO2 injection... Except it shouldn't be difficult to understand why CO2 injection trumps pouring soda-water in your tank...

Also, Java fern turns brown... That's part of its life cycle... Even the healthiest specimens will have brown scars... If the entire plant is dying, something's wrong, but don't freak out because most of the leaves aren't completely green.

ECAS member

I just added eco complete topped with small gravel and so far looking good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ECAS member

Why did you top your eco complete with gravel?

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by melita Click here to enlarge
    My plants are not doing will at all my java fern has turned brown I see nothing actually growing
    only a couple plants are looking ok ,thinking I should do co2 but I have no idea were to start I don't want something high tech is there something one can do . I have pool filter sand and using tabs .
    Can you give some details of your tank, such as size, what plants do you have, what is the light fixture you are using( saying LED light means nothing), how long was the plants in before they started having issues?what is the temp. of the tank?
    When you say you added eco complete, did you remove the sand?
    The little details may provide a better understanding of what is happening with your plants.
    Regards

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Charlie Click here to enlarge
    Can you give some details of your tank, such as size, what plants do you have, what is the light fixture you are using( saying LED light means nothing), how long was the plants in before they started having issues?what is the temp. of the tank?
    When you say you added eco complete, did you remove the sand?
    The little details may provide a better understanding of what is happening with your plants.
    Regards
    There is no single solution, because nearly everything is wrong... This is a tank that has been run as a "best recommendation" tank...

It's a tough lesson to learn, but I think most of us went through the grinder when we first broke into the world of seriously keeping plants in our tanks, especially those of us who have pushed the limits of our hobby...

I could probably shoot a list off of 20 things you "aren't doing right" according to the internet... None of which will necessarily fix your problems...

All I can honestly say is that brown on Java fern is normal... And the more advice you blindly follow in this hobby, the less likely you are to be happy in the end.

ECAS member

My poor plants

Ok tank is 90 gallon light is fluval led for planted I do think I need better light ,the have been in for few month but recently added more because most of first batch ether died
    or melted , tank is around 84Degrees But the plants I chose were ones that do ok at higher temperatures .
    Here is what I did I removed the sand and added two inches of Eco complete the plants are doing better but my discus were peppering up because of the dark Color so I added. Some gravel on top which is working for my discus as they have lightened up again .
    I found it very hard to get my plants to stay planted in the Eco complete but most are doing ok and I think the gravel is helping to keep them in place. So hopefully the problem is solved .I do not have Java fern .

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

ECAS member

X

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SoPhluffeh Click here to enlarge
    There is no single solution, because nearly everything is wrong... This is a tank that has been run as a "best recommendation" tank...

It's a tough lesson to learn, but I think most of us went through the grinder when we first broke into the world of seriously keeping plants in our tanks, especially those of us who have pushed the limits of our hobby...

I could probably shoot a list off of 20 things you "aren't doing right" according to the internet... None of which will necessarily fix your problems...

All I can honestly say is that brown on Java fern is normal... And the more advice you blindly follow in this hobby, the less likely you are to be happy in the end.
    Since you quoted my post , can i ask what is your point? At no time in my post did i suggest any solution, i merely asked for some info & suggested it may give a better understanding of what can be the issue or issues.
    If i misunderstood your post , i apologize, but it does come over a bit aggressive,i have been in the planted tank hobby more years than i care to count & have been very successful at it .
    I`ll take my leave at this point.

ECAS member

Sorry I did for not mean to offend just trying to give some idea of what been happening .

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by melita Click here to enlarge
    Sorry I did for not mean to offend just trying to give some idea of what been happening .
    No need to apologize melita, it was not intended for you, you did not offend anyone, at least from where i sit LOL

ECAS member

That's good to know because this I just a hobby, actually I have another tank were plants are doing fine and I am beginning to think it is my lighting that is causing the problem because they are exact same plants just different substright but better light, glow light double tub t5 only time will till so I am getting a better light for the 90.

ECAS member

Hey Melita,

I have a low tech 108 gal planted Discus tank with 2 GLO T5HO lamps. My success has been hit or miss depending on the plants. I use Flourish root tabs, Flourish dosing, and Excel (Tho I buy actual glutaraldehyde, aka Metricide 14, from a Medical Supplies dealer) The temp of the tank is usually 82-84 degrees depending on the time of year.

Wins - Red Tiger lotus (tho it has its dormant stages), Rotala, Ludwigia repens, Amazon Swords, Anubias, moss, duck weed, moss balls.

Fails - Vals (melted with and without Excel for me), Java Fern, Ludwigia Palustris, Limnophila aquatic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast