Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mox's Rimless Fluval Edge Shrimp Tank Journal

ECAS member

Mox's Rimless Fluval Edge Shrimp Tank Journal

Hi everyone!

I am back from an extended leave of absence! Looking to start and hopefully stay small with a little 6 gallon project tank.

It is already a bit of a DIY tank as I had to use a razor blade to cut along the seam and remove the top glass pane of this Fluval Edge. (43 x 26 x 36.8 cm (16.9 x 10.2 x 14.5 in)) I didn't like the idea of trying to hunt down shrimp through the small hole in the top and have always loved the look of rimless tanks. (If anyone wants more details on removing the top of an edge just let me know! There is a youtube video of it being done but they make it look really easy! I recommend using a razor blade with a handle for Saftey. unlike how it was done in the video)

Better yet I am getting Scott from 1 Fish 2 Fish to help me out with a modified LED system! I will be picking that up on Monday so I am excited for that. I got the tank on kijiji and the included light had used small halogen bulbs but the sockets were completely corroded. I would never be able to put a new light in there. However the wiring was still good so I am going to do a 6 high power Led Replacement with 4 white and 2 blue. I could have done a 12 setup with denser spacing of the LEDs, but I think for such a small tank this should be more than enough.

The plants in there now are not a long term solution. Depending on how they fair I will potentially be swapping them out. The aquascape is brutal as well.

Currently the ph is about 6.5 (I need to get a new test kit/tester) and temperature is 76-77f
    The substrate is seachem aquasolum black humate (very similar to Fluval Stratum which I used in the past and worked for great for shrimp!) It's beyond light so planting in it is still a nightmare...I thought I would need 2 bags but only one was needed to get a very nice bed of substrate.

I'm using a Seapora 30 sponge filter. Originally I bought the 60 version yesterday but it was WAY too big. So if anyone wants a like new Seapora Spongefilter I will be selling it for 10 bucks to try and recoup some lost cash. Sponge filters are idea for shrimp as they don't effect/create much flow. Particularly with this substrate that will be important. I'm using a leftover MarineLand 75 air pump with a air flow control nozzle in the middle of the tubing to control the flow to the sponge. This pump is overkill for the size of the tank.

The heater is also technically overkill for this aquarium. It's a left over Fluval e50. I have to mount it sideways to fit it and it throws off the look of things a bit. I had two of them left over. Really everything Im using is a bit over the top for this topless setup haha.

Click here to enlarge

Showing off the removed top

Click here to enlarge

With the top sitting over it. I am going to keep it because I might do something with it or use it as a cover or something down the road.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Finally the current aquascape! Any feedback on the scape is appreciated haha.

Click here to enlarge

Again sorry it all looks so rough, but I literally went from not even owning the tank to bare glass to full setup in a day. I broke all the rules I know.

Once the levels get stable then come the shrimp, I still can't decide what kind I want to do but I'm hoping to do some kind of Caradina. Maybe CRS, or if I feel bold Ti-bees. (I really like the idea of never knowing what the offspring will be!)

I will also use a better camera once I am happy with how things are looking.

ECAS member

New pictures! New Light, And a rescape! Also new worms! ><

So lots of updates! I the glosso I got was mostly all dead... Too much of the plants were rotting which I believe is what caused the issues with the increase of the detritus worms. They are on the glass near the top, so sources/internet tells me that there is low oxygen in the tank. I'm not sure how this could be happening with the sponge filter. I have never had one before so usually there is a small amount of flow of water from a HOB filter which would oxygenate the ground. I think the most likely source is the rotting plant matter. So I took out everything that wasn't green today.

I made a some little moss mat with some plastic mesh. I will see if I can get this to spread on the mesh, and might be able to use it as a carpeting alternative. I bought a PH meter. I haven't calibrated it and have some suspicions about how good it is. (and if it really works at all) But it is reading PH 6.6-6.8 after you shake it in the water for a bit.

Overall I am much more happy with the scape. Putting the heater on it's side and moving the Sponge really helps liven it up.

Perhaps the most obvious edition is the newly modified LED light fixture. Scott from 1 fish 2 fish modified the fixture to be a 6 w 5 white, 1 blue LED Fixture on the original cord. He added an acrylic guard to keep the water off the lights, something the original light fixture was missing and caused the old blub housing to become unusable. This seems pretty bright and I have seen visible plant growth in just a day! The LED shimmer is nice too!

I cheated a little and have a couple cherries in there. I had 5 and lost 3. *I still have one juvenile and a baby* I think the young ones are hardier. The reason I lost them I think is the decaying plant matter and the unrinsed substrate causing a ammonia spike.

I am going to pick up a couple more and see if things seem stabilized.

More updates to come stay tuned!

Night:
    Click here to enlarge

and day:
    Click here to enlarge

ECAS member

Just did some water testing, and got a picture of the little "tester shrimp" I have."

I got a digital ph meter and just calibrated it and it seems my Tap water is at the high end of 7.2

My tank water is high end of 6.9

The three shrimp are some kind of mystery variety possibly a Blue Bodied Red Rilli I got them at pets Unlimited for about 4 dollars each. The three I have are males I think which is a shame. (As shown in picture) They didn't have many/any adults left. So far they seem to be doing well since I added them yesterday. Very active.

I will have to think on my current parameters when it comes to ordering new shrimp. If I start doing my water changes with RO/DI water then I would likely be able to get my ph down a bit more as the substrate is an active negative buffer I believe.

Click here to enlarge

ECAS member

Decided to take some more shots of what I am calling the Blue Body Red Rili shrimp that I got as "testers"

Dug out my real camera and extension tubes to get you some pictures. Some day I will get myself a real macro lens :( Messing with tubes, tripods, remote shutters, and needing to tweak the exposure after is just not worth it!

(You can click them to get the bigger version from photobucket.) Enjoy! And get shrimping!

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

I am very excited for the order to go in tonight/tomorrow! I am planning on getting CRS A/A+ and S/S+ grade and Tigers then breed them together to get something like Red Tibee pictured below. I am also getting some Monticarlo sp to carpet my tank!

Click here to enlarge

Club Supporter

Love your tank !! I gots the FEVER now.... and the temperature is rising, lol !

ECAS member

Well you got me wanting to start a shrimp tank again. with the help of PU going out of business sale i got my old 10 gallon up and running.

Click here to enlarge

Owner

Those are great shots of the shrimp!
    Can't wait to see updates and more shimp :)
    I like the mods you have done so far. I also took the top glass off an edge but have yet to do anything with it. Will the old cover that goes over the light fit over the new LED?
    ..` A woman needs a man like a fish needs a net. ..`

ECAS member

hey, hows things making out? any updates for us?

ECAS member

Hey everyone! Life got/has gotten pretty crazy! Seems like I am going to have to move on September 1st! I will be driving across Canada with whatever I can fit in my Mazda 3 haha. Super stressful. Meaning that my shrimp/tank will be going up for sale eventually. I would like to hang on to them for a few more months and see if I can't get them to breed etc.

I do have my first saddled female tiger and it is driving all the boys wild! beyond the 4 losses I had during shipping my shrimp were doing great! I lost one of my two tangerine tigers just yesterday though (of course the expensive ones go!) Tommy believes my rocks are leeching KH I have only had time to test one of them but it is not. The way to test if a rock will leach Kh is to pour vinegar on it. If it bubbles then it leeches kh if not then your good to go!

The monti carlo I got was a no go sadly. It became shrimp food! They are like little water goats!

I don't have any fancy pictures to add just yet but here are some camera shots to tide you over! The ti-Bees are my absolute favorite! The color variation is really cool! Many of my tigers have a blue tint to them making me thing they have some OEBT in their genes!

There is so much more I would like to say but getting a free moment is a real trick. These pictures are really crap quality too. My CRS I got were SUPER tiny. Two of them have almost doubled in size while the other two more passive ones barely seem to have grown at all. I have had to feed extra in order to make sure there are crumbs for them. Lots of spinach leaves etc. Not sure if anyone else tried them yet but my shrimp love the mulberry leaves. I also got two mystery shrimp with my tigers that don't look like anything I have ever seen. Time will tell.

Tommy has also said that he got the refund for the shipping so we have free priority shipping credit now! Not sure the best way to move forward with this now haha.

I took all these pictures just now to get a update for you. They are rough haha

first one of my most active tigers. It is blue and black with a bit of white (a common theme)

Click here to enlarge

This is what the monti looked like when I got it :(

Click here to enlarge

This is only 3 days later after the shrimp got hungrey.

Click here to enlarge

The two larger CRS
    Click here to enlarge

Here is the remaining tangerine tiger
    Click here to enlarge

This is the mystery shrimp with the tigers you can see a molt. Lots of them are molting.
    Click here to enlarge

This is my favorite shrimp! The pictures does ZERO justice as you will see once I get my camera. The body is mostly white with black tiger stripes! Super cool. All the tibees are BIGGER than even the tigers which are huge. They are also always hungrey and very active.
    Click here to enlarge

Another shot of one of the larger CRS They seem to be actually a really good quality/grade. Potentially better than S for sure.
    Click here to enlarge

CRS smaller one investigating a large Tiger preening itself.
    Click here to enlarge

There is still so much more I want to say but no time I am afraid. I am learning lots about caridina. I have let 2 sides of the tank grow over with algae by using a 12-14 hour light cycle. This is helping the smaller ones a lot I think. The temperature is about 73.5 most of the time. I actually place the old top piece on the tank to keep the moisture in because CRS don't like water changes. I haven't done one since I introduced the CRS actually! But the top glass was raising the temperature so I had to remove it recently.

Again even my writing is a mess I am super rushed to just get info down though so my apologies!

Club Supporter

Thanks for the update, your shrimp are looking awesome! And yes I have tried the mulberry leaves and I couldnt believe how much the shrimp loved it.

Tommy had sent me some No Planaria to treat my infected shrimp, some of which had a type of parasitic worm attached to their heads. I havent had the time to treat them yet though. The parasites dont really harm them in that they wont die from them, but I do want them gone eventually.

I did loose another Tiger shrimp and really have no idea what did it. I have tested all my water parameters and all seems within range, I even got a TDS meter.

Im in no hurry for another order but would want a few more Tigers I think, including the one Im owed, whenever the order is placed.

Grats on the upcoming move also! You must be excited :)

Club Supporter

Oh and ps.... I may be interested in buying your tank off you before you move. Just let me know when you decide to sell it ; )

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by happy_pitbull Click here to enlarge
    Oh and ps.... I may be interested in buying your tank off you before you move. Just let me know when you decide to sell it ; )
    Will do! I am selling the tank and everything in it for sure! Ideally I would like to sell it in late July or early August. Hopefully I will have some more babies by then and you will be getting a deal! If you buy it I will give it to you really cheap too to help a fellow shrimper. I am sad I can't take it with me. :(

On the bright side I have my girlfriend hooked on the idea of shrimp already!!! She even wants her own tank! Meaning I get to have two tanks when I get to Victoria at least ;)

You totally need to make a post about your shrimp tank! Picturessss! :D

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MoxVoid Click here to enlarge
    On the bright side I have my girlfriend hooked on the idea of shrimp already!!! She even wants her own tank! Meaning I get to have two tanks when I get to Victoria at least ;)
    It's not MTS if someone else claims ownership!

ECAS member

It has seemed like my shrimp were disappearing for the last week. I had one more tiger die inside the tank itself. (I can't remember if this was the same one in the last update or not.) But to my horror I finally found where the rest went...

They jumped out!

I found 5 expensive crispy shrimp on the floor. I am pretty sure I have lost all my females. :( This project might be over.

As far as I can tell they all went out the same corner. I had the water level too high I believe, and the bubbles from the sponge filter that shared their favorite corner bumped them out. That or maybe the water conditions were worse than I though. But since they all were in the same spot on the floor that matched the sponge filter corner I believe they got bounced.

I am pretty upset. This has basically shuttered my breeding project for the summer. I will do a double take tomorrow and get some HD pictures of what shrimp I have left but I believe I have lost all my females. None of the CRS jumped though. Mostly the tigers/tibees.

Click here to enlarge

Club Supporter

:( what a bummer.
    100g CA/SA Cichlids 77g Jaguar Cichlid
    40g SA Cichlids 36g Convict fry

Club Supporter

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MoxVoid Click here to enlarge
    They jumped out!

I found 5 expensive crispy shrimp on the floor. I am pretty sure I have lost all my females. :( This project might be over.
    Oh noes :( Im so sorry this has happened to you !! You must be so heartbroken :(

I do find some of my shrimp hanging out in the bubbly area where the sponge filter is, so the bubbles very well could have helped kick them out. I myself lost another Tiger shrimp, so I only have one left now, but my loss is miniscule compared to yours :(

Again Im so so sorry to hear this :(

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by happy_pitbull Click here to enlarge
    Oh noes :( Im so sorry this has happened to you !! You must be so heartbroken :(

I do find some of my shrimp hanging out in the bubbly area where the sponge filter is, so the bubbles very well could have helped kick them out. I myself lost another Tiger shrimp, so I only have one left now, but my loss is miniscule compared to yours :(

Again Im so so sorry to hear this :(

I'm definitely upset. Lost the smallest of my CRS today as well. I did a head count, and I am down to 8 shrimp. 2/3 of the original test shrimp survived haha.

So its :

3 CRS,
    1 tangerine tiger,
    1 regular tiger,
    1 Tibee
    2 blue red rili neos.

I should have never have started a tank this small with this project. The whole thing was half assed just because I was impatient and wanted to have shrimp. I was also over confidant because of the success I have had in the past.

I want to get more but with the move so close I don't see a point. If I could get a couple local female tigers I could still make a go of it but that isn't likely. I am still determined to have shrimp, and my girlfriend really likes them now and wants a tank of her own for shrimp when I move out there. I'll have them again but for now I think I will ride these out and part ways with them and the tank.

One of the CRS may be female and I am holding out hope for that. They are still not mature. To be honest I think the reason I lost so many CRS is because the ones Tommy sent were too small to begin with. Selling young shrimp is good, but selling babies is not. Most baby shrimp won't survive, especially during shipping. (That is why there are so many babies in each batch! )

I am going to do another water change tomorrow but I am really apathetic about things feeling like I have all males.

My new rule of thumb will be to get a tank up and running with successfully breeding neos first before I consider Caridina or something. (Even that is flawed because Caridina require different parameters)

Club Supporter

Well that certainly sucks!! I have lost quite a few shrimp but they seemed to have just disappeared. I have no idea where they went, unless they died and the other shrimp in with them scavenged them before I found the bodies. I think part of my issue was water quality. I've been sick for a few weeks now and have been slacking on water changes. Add that to dead shrimp in there, I'm sure the water quality wasn't that great. I guess that's my own fault.

I hope you find a female or two in with what you have left.

ECAS member

I found two more CRS crispy on the floor today. Sadness is real. I specifically made sure the water level was lower, and last night pushed the cover over that corner. My mind is blown. I am going to do another water change tonight. I am down to 1 CRS.

So disheartened. :/

Club Supporter

So sorry to hear this :( Have you tested your water parameters? I have only done one tiny water change on my tank thus far as Im worried the tap water I re-add will result in too drastic of a change for my shrimp. The substrate in my tank ( fluval stratum mixed with an enert type) plus the driftwood etc has my pH a bit lower than my tap water and my TDS higher. Im actually nervous to do water changes for that reason and the water I did remove I have been replacing very slowly over multiple days.

I did end up getting some Almond leaves which I ordered from a place in Malaysia, and alot of alder cones my parents found for me in the clean woods of Cape Breton. If you would like any of these let me know as Im sure I could give you a few :)

If there is anything else I can do to help let me know. I would offer you my last Tiger shrimp but Im afraid he is male, not female like you require.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast