Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mox's Rimless Fluval Edge Shrimp Tank Journal

ECAS member

what does the alder cones do/provide for the shrimp?

Club Supporter

Alder cones are supposed to serve the same purpose as almond leaves and some say they are even better. They release tannins, help lower the pH, and create a good surface for bio film to grow on. Some people also say they have anti-septic and anti-bacterial properties. The shrimp seem to love them and seek them out as soon as I placed them in the tank.

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by happy_pitbull Click here to enlarge
    So sorry to hear this :( Have you tested your water parameters? I have only done one tiny water change on my tank thus far as Im worried the tap water I re-add will result in too drastic of a change for my shrimp. The substrate in my tank ( fluval stratum mixed with an enert type) plus the driftwood etc has my pH a bit lower than my tap water and my TDS higher. Im actually nervous to do water changes for that reason and the water I did remove I have been replacing very slowly over multiple days.

I did end up getting some Almond leaves which I ordered from a place in Malaysia, and alot of alder cones my parents found for me in the clean woods of Cape Breton. If you would like any of these let me know as Im sure I could give you a few :)

If there is anything else I can do to help let me know. I would offer you my last Tiger shrimp but Im afraid he is male, not female like you require.
    Thank you that is a very sweet sentiment, but I think I just have to close the books on this one. I put the HOB filter that came with the tank on as well and I think it improved water quality drastically. I think I am going to steer clear of sponge filters in the future. I'll either do under gravel with lots of moss, or HOB with a sponge on the intake and a spraybar. (This is what I always had in the past) After some water changes and the new filter they seem much more active/happy. I also am using shorter light cycles and I reduced a lot of the algae. (No point in keeping it if I don't have shrimplets anyway
    !

As a last ditch effort I am going to pickup some local cherries this weekend. (I'll be dammed if I don't breed SOMETHING in this tank.)

ECAS member

I already notice a huge difference in the remaining shrimp. The HOB filter is worth it's weight in gold! :D HOB or Undergravel only in my future I think!

ECAS member

Just wanted to give a quick update! I may add some photos later. The tank is going well. I still have my remaining lonely CRS if only I had got that HOB filter on there sooner!!!

The cherries are breeding, It turned out that of the 10 shrimp I got 2 females. One of which is huge and VERY berried so that is exciting the other is saddled.

I left a single snail from the initial cull after getting my moss from pets unlimited... It decided to lay eggs everywhere. So I think I need to part ways with it. I remember seeing eggs like this in the past two but I thought if I only kept one snail I would be ok. I was wrong haha.

Club Supporter

Try nerites, won't breed and stay small

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12