Thread: Sand or gravel

ECAS member

Cool Sand or gravel

I have been having a huge problem with brown algae in my 90 gallon discus tank and I think the problem may be silica sand plus white-garnet stones that I am using in my tank . I did not experience that issue. When I used The black Titanium moon sand in same tank.
    Wondering if any one else may have had this problem ?
    Now I don't know what to try, the moon sand is black and will darken my pigeon discus I do have a gravel but it is not very fine for planting .
    Any suggestions for a light substrate other that silica sand that will let. Me grow some plants. ?

ECAS member

I'm pretty sure the algae feeds off the new silica.. could buy actual aquarium sand of some sort, or even small sized white coloured gravel?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

ECAS member

I am temped to put the. Moon sand back into tank the regardless of peppering . And remove the stones but it is a lot of moving around and disturbing discus if it doesn't work out .

ECAS member

If the tank is planted there is a guy selling buckets of ada aquasoil which I think is the same as flourite. Really good stuff to keep the water soft, plants healthy and rooted and it is a great bed for good bacterial growth.

ECAS member

Give it time,the silica dust will get washed out with a bit of time.They are diatoms(brown algae) and not harmful just unsightly.Fine gravel or pea stone is great for a planted tank,even tho there are more substrates on the market for growing plants they might not be the best for discus.I have never had any issues using pea stone for a planted tank.Sandy or really fine grains get too compacted and not great for all plants.Plus you'll get more anaerobic areas with a compact substrate,not something you really want in a discus tank.They have white fine grain silica gravel at Shaw Brick.
    I like discus cause discus like me.

ECAS member

Do you have good water circulation. I found that if the water was not moving in all areas algae would build up in the corners. A power head and less hours on the lights will help. Just my 2 cents

ECAS member

What kind of water changes are done this tank?