Thread: Question for Koi Keepers

ECAS member

Question for Koi Keepers

Hello,

I've been absent from this forum since ARRG got it's face lift but I am back today to do some research for my real job.

I am a Aquaculture Consultant for Corey Nutrition. We manufacture feed for the Aquaculture Industry as well as food for Dogs and Cats. We are looking to expand the Aquafeeds sector and I've been tasked with exploring the potential for manufacturing Koi food.

I'm trying to gather a little information about how much feed the average Koi keeper goes through in a year, how much you spend on koi feed within the run of a year, what brands you are using and why.

Any feedback is appreciated

Many Thanks
    Jack W.

ECAS member

A number of years ago Cory did produce koi food for Hagen...use to buy it from the factory. I have currently 12 fish all in the range of 30'', they go through a 20kg bag per season. I spend about $100 per year excluding shipping. Most have a protein content around 38%and are fish meal based.
    5000 gallon koi pond, 2500 & 750 gallon holding tanks,

ECAS member

Thanks for the Reply Graham,

I've found plenty of info on formulation and dietary requirements for Koi and other then the incredibly low fat content, its not too dissimilar or what we are already producing. Pellet density is another thing that we will need to consider.. but if its something we've made in the past then i'll have to double check to see if we still have the skew/formula for the old koi diet.

A bag per season for 12 large koi is less food/year then i was expecting, but i guess they will only be feeding heavily for 4-5 months a year. I'll keep digging around for general info about how many people keep koi in canada.. its been very hard to get general numbers on this kind of thing

Thanks again Graham, every little bit of info helps.

ECAS member

I've looked into it and we've never made a koi specific diet before.. we do have our floating diet which is designed for ponds but its meant for trout ponds not koi.. the fat content is a little high for koi