Thread: I've been making mistakes

ECAS member

Unhappy I've been making mistakes

I've been busy and neglectful of my fish to the point that I've now started noticing possibly issues with them..

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    This little guy has white stringy poop, probably an indication of an internal parasite.

Click here to enlarge
    This one has been hanging around corners of the aquarium, rarely eating.. possibly an internal parasite.

White film on the lips.. hopefully not the start of columnaris, maybe start of a fungal infection.

Large siamese algae eater.. just today I noticed the damage on the dorsal fin with some red streaks.. fin rot and possibly the start of a bacterial infection.

I've been so focused on the plants, I've now realized that the fish themselves are doing rather poorly.

I did however have three new angels added, and they shown no symptoms over their month of quarantine.. maybe they brought it over and I have no clue.

Aquarium is 125 gallons running a 2217 Eheim canister filter, and I think a 304b Sunsun canister filter. I believe there are five BN plecos, two SAEs, two pearl gouramis, about seven-eight angels.. two full grown, the rest juveniles and two cories.

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrites: 0ppm

Nitrates: approx. 40ppm (doing a water change soon today)

pH: About 6.2ppm with Co2

Temperature: approx. 29C... I've just turned it down to 22C, my heater might be stuck since it's actually set for 25C so I'll see if it goes any lower. Otherwise I'm buying a new one today.

Goes to show myself that even though I thought I had adequate knowledge about the hobby.. looks like I still have a hell a lot more to grasp.

Click here to enlarge
    I'm sharing this to help others to keep on top of their fishes health and to be aware of that's going on in the tank. Anything that happens in the tank is the responsibility of the owner. The high temperature probably has a part in playing of the bacteria in the tank I'm thinking, which is my fault for neglecting.

I'm also asking for advice to those that are willing to share it with me.. which is greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

For those on Reddit may see the same post, because I'm trying to spread this and have other be aware of what's going on in their tanks.

TL;DR: I ****ed up, and hoping to have my fish recover.

ECAS member

We all neglect our fish at times when things get busy..... You have lots of knowledge and experience I'm sure you will have no issue nursing them back to good health!! Few water hanged maybe some dew ornery and I'm sure things will be fine ! Columnaris is a deadly disease and chances are slim that your fish have it especially if went exposed to other new fish .... Also humans can catch it so you should try and eliminate that factor! But I'd say it's just neglect ion issues !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ECAS member

White stringy poop usually indicates a protozoin parasite "flagllates" and bloody and fin rot indicates a bacterial infection.It usually takes about a month for these parasites to show up after new fish are added.You just might have two issues.Very costly to threat a 125 gal tank.You might be looking at a couple hundred dollars.You might want to order in some metronidazole for the parasites and Furan 2 for a bacteria infection.Threat the bacterial infection first,this just might clear up the internal infection as well.Meds are way too expensive at local pet shops.You can usually buy the metro in 100 grams on the MOPS site.The bigger containers of Furan 2 as well.
    I like discus cause discus like me.

Club Supporter

I have personally learned a few good lessons the hard way myself before. I now keep track of every water change I do on my phone so I do not let a wc slip by mistake. I also do a lot more water changes than I used to, keeping nitrate well below 20ppm. I haven't had anything appear on my fish for years now. I quarantine new fish a lot longer than I used to as well. I started doing this after I had a fungal infection pop up on quarantined stock approx . 2 monthes after purchase. Killed nearly everything. Last but not least I had my established 100g tank do a mini cycle a few years ago when i cleaned my filter a little too well. I only clean with tank water but it still happened and it killed 2 fish. Now I have 2 filters on this tank and i don't even bother with charcoal in my filters, I just use the space for bio material. Lots of it. I only use charcoal if I temporarily need to remove fish medication after treating a tank. Anyway, you live you learn.
    100g CA/SA Cichlids 77g Jaguar Cichlid
    40g SA Cichlids 36g Convict fry

ECAS member

So I've been investigating.. I've found out my heater was actually damaged and was much warmer than it's supposed to be.. as well the warm weather we've been having hasn't been helping. I've now switched heaters and looking into a temperature controller like this: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Digital-LED-T...gAAOSwtJZXUkHx .. probably going to buy it in an hour or so.

Thank you all for your comments, they're great to read! I'm now using KanaPlex, MetroPlex, and Focus within their food to help treat the issues; also liquid garlic and additional liquid drops for nutrients to promote appetite and health.. a lot cheaper than dosing the water column of the tank. I hope to see improvements soon enough!

ECAS member

If it is a parasite the higher temps will help wipe it out along with the meds.On the other hand,if it's bacterial lower temps are better.Good luck with medicated food only.Kanamycin and metro is an excellent choice,but I'd personally do the water column,also.
    I like discus cause discus like me.