Thread: Rock Bottom? New Fish!

ECAS member

Rock Bottom? New Fish!

Hello Everyone! First of all an apology. I fell off the face the earth for a while there. I had one of the hardest summers I've ever had and quite honestly I lost all my motivation for a while there. I've been around lurking but I've practically been silent for the summer and all I can really do is apologize and do my best to better cope with things so it does not interfere with my online presence. I've avoided the two forums where I talk about catfish (this being one of them) because that was one of the the hard parts about this summer- I lost 5 of my 6 Loricaria sp`rio_atabapo over nothing more than my own forgetfulness. These were the highlight of my entire time fishkeeping- my favorite fish to watch, photograph and the first species of fish let alone catfish that I ever bred. I still miss them terribly and these forums (ECAS and PC) through no fault of their own reminisce those memories. I'm hoping to be a little more active on here but last time I said something like that I truly vanished. With that said I'm maintaining hope.

In my usual fashion this is a copy paste from planet catfish.

Now onto the fish...

I got six Physopyxis lyra! I board at a school through the week and go home on weekends and wanted to set up a small tank there because as amazing as the school is its still a relatively stressful environment for me and nothing helps me destress like watching a nice tank and its residents. This tank was Actually suppose to be for Tatia musaica but the supplier ran out of these before I could place an order so I patiently waited over the summer for someone to get something interesting and small in stock (the tank is 8.5 gallons). And so when these came up I was quick to pull the trigger! I ordered six and after some miscommunication and unfortunate events (those one the spencer order from one fish two fish understand... I would also like to clarify the store was in no way at fault and if you see this Jeff I hope your feeling better! They arrived yesterday! I noticed one DOA immediately and was a little bummed out. I called Spencer directly and asked about his warranty. He asked how many and I said just the one. He then stated "well that sucks but you still got the six your ordered- that one was supposed to be a freebie". Any ways I floated them and introduced them after 20 minutes (I also recored their squeak! I also took a few shots of them in their tank but mostly with my phone, when I get back to the tank on monday I'll take more photos as I've noticed the Catelog entry for these on planetcatfish as well as the general amount of photos of this species is lacking. The one specimen that died however I'm hoping will live on- I photographed the body extensively with my super macro lens and besides the caudal fin he was in perfect condition and had only passed away within hours of receiving him. Also I'm going to talk to my Biology teacher about using this specimen for the classes Diaphonization project! I''m hoping to contribute to both PC and the general community in the sharing of my experiences with these fish! Now for the pictures!
    Click here to enlarge
    First the Tank! I have dubbed Eldoradido. Don't worry about a lack of cover- the dragon stone mad lots of nooks and crannies on its own however although it looks like pile its a hollow one making quite a large and intricate cave! As well as some refuge in the Echinodorus garden (the little reading I could find suggested they would like such a plant in the tank).
    Click here to enlarge
    Here is the only photo I took on my good camera and honestly the ones on the phone turned out clearer, I didn't have time get the tripod out as I really had to get the fish out and go so this was shot with a ver low aperture causing the second fish to be out of focus and even the front fish to not be as crisp as it should be, more photos of the living specimens on Monday! Now onto the deceased. The following photos will have their respective description below them. the specimen came in at 45 mm SL
    Click here to enlarge
    Anterior end showing the pectoral girdle (I think...)
    Click here to enlarge
    Anterior end with dorsal fin/spine showing (manually erected)
    Click here to enlarge
    Close up of Dorsal spine
    Click here to enlarge
    close up of eye (eyes are very reflective, all photos with the flash caused them to illuminate- this one had the least illumination)
    Click here to enlarge
    Close up of pectoral fin
    Click here to enlarge
    View of the single row of spines from above
    Click here to enlarge
    I believe this is the genital papilla
    Click here to enlarge
    Same photo cropped
    Click here to enlarge
    Ventral surface

For the following photos I had to place the specimen in a petri dish and fill it with water to allow the barbels, anal fin and caudal fin to be loose from the body and easier to manipulate. Apologies for the air bubbles.
    Click here to enlarge
    Showing barbels
    Click here to enlarge
    Close up of anal fin
    Click here to enlarge
    Caudal fin (difficulties expanding the fin led to the fraying of the fin rays, in the live specimens they are all connected by the membrane).
    Click here to enlarge
    Detailed photo of ventral pattern and pectoral girdle
    Click here to enlarge
    Close up profile of single row of spines

Well thats all for now everyone! I facetimed a fellow student tonight and had him turn on the lights and do a head count to make sure everyone was alive. There was one we couldn't tell if it was breiving or not like the others (most where hyperventilating as this was the first time the light had been turned on in the tank since their arrival). After gently nudging the fish with some air tubing My friend pronounced it dead. A list of swears followed soon after as the presumed dead fish flew from one side of tank to the other like a bat out of hell taking refuge in the Echinodorus. Lesson learned- their breathing can be rather discrete!

An update will be coming on Monday! Perhaps a feeding video!Click here to enlarge
    Dedicated Catfish Keeper

ECAS member

Because the WIFI at school shuts off in 4 minutes update will have to wait until tomorrow- Shooting the feeding video tonight though!
    Dedicated Catfish Keeper

Super Moderator Chopper Challenge Champion

Congrats on the new fish.
    Spencer Jack normally sends extras so he doesn't have to worry about DOA carryover.

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by komodo182 Click here to enlarge
    Congrats on the new fish.
    Spencer Jack normally sends extras so he doesn't have to worry about DOA carryover.
    Thanks Komodo! That makes a lot of sense and is good to know! Luckily the DOA has been the only causality, a trend I hope continues.

The following is a copy paste from Planetcatfish:

As for the delayed update- its delayed for one reason and one reason only. I suck at precal Click here to enlarge

The Physopyxis lyra are all doing well! Thus far there are no casualties and I've seen everyone out and about (at once). I added some blood worms to the tank and switched the lights to blue LEDs. I sat there with my finger on the record button for 15 minutes and then saw some movement and started to film. 7 minutes of filming later and nothing so I stopped and went around to the side to look into the cave- they had all congregated there. I turned off the lights and came back in an hour to see them all sitting everywhere with full bellies. I don't know if it was the full bellies or the 50% water change but I left the blue LEDs on again and they all came out without a worry. I saw some foraging behaviour but for the most part they all just swam up the side of the tank playfully tumbling through the current (not frantic in the slightest and I have seen them swim against it without problem but for some reason they like frolic within it). I must say I'm really enjoying these cats! I enjoy how there is always one in the open but I also enjoy playing wheres waldo every now and again. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get some video of them feeding (they seem to have become more confident since my first attempt). There has only been one consistent downside of these cats- trying to sleep when such entertaining behaviours are occurring!
    Click here to enlarge
    I know the photo is out of focus but its the best I could do without my tripod handy.
    Dedicated Catfish Keeper

Club Supporter

Oh wow! Such amazing catfish :) Thanks so much for sharing all of this ! Looking forward to seeing more updates.

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by happy_pitbull Click here to enlarge
    Oh wow! Such amazing catfish :) Thanks so much for sharing all of this ! Looking forward to seeing more updates.
    Thanks happy_pitbull! I'm looking forward to providing them! Hopefully I can make a feeding video soon (and try to edit it- that could take some time...). I'm really enjoying them and will be sure to try and get some pictures up in the next few days!
    Dedicated Catfish Keeper