Thread: Severums

ECAS member

Severums

Hi everyone my female severum layed eggs yesterday. The male ( i think it's male) shows little interest in the eggs the female fans them. Anyway im trying to figure out if the eggs are fertile. I have experience with mouth brooders and live bearers but this is new to me. Anyway any advice would be great. Eggs look orangy clear (she spawned on drift wood) except a few this morning are white.

Club Supporter

If the eggs are not fertile they will turn white (fungus)and its quite normal for some eggs in every spawn to fungus.

ECAS member

So how long to know if some of them are fertile? Should i remove the white eggs?

Club Supporter

The eggs tend to fungus within a day or 2 if they are not fertile. If you can removed the white eggs that will help stop the spread of the fungus to the fertile eggs. The parents usually fan the eggs, as you have mentioned, and that helps reduce the spread of fungus as well. Some people actually remove all the eggs to a smaller container and add an antifungal agent like methylene blue as well as using aeration.

ECAS member

Well im about to hit the 24 hr mark since i noticed the eggs and only a hand full have turned white ill attempt to pick off the white ones this evening. Im trying not to disturb them as much as possible as i read if they feel threatened they will eat them altho they could just eat them for the hell of it. So the fry should hatch in 3-5 days? Free swimming soon after that. (So my googling has sayed lol ) tanks is 79-80 degrees

Club Supporter

Sounds about right to me although I would bump the water temp to around 82-83 and the eggs will develop a little sooner at the higher temps. If all goes well and they become free swimming, you should feed newly hatched brine shrimp as they do much better on that than just dry food. Its also not unusual to lose the first few spawns as parents may not have figured the raising process out as yet.

ECAS member

Time will tell i guess. Thanks for the help

ECAS member

What type of severums are you keeping?

ECAS member

I have red severums. Unfortunitly they ate all but the white ones overnight. It was my males first attempt at parenting so mu guess is he ate them. The female im told has spawned a few times befor. But either one could of done it. Better luck next time.