Thread: Dwarf puffers and angels

ECAS member

Dwarf puffers and angels

I do not know if i have this in the right place or not, if i do not admin may point me to the right place or move this thread.

I have a quick question can dwarf puffers (pygmy pea puffers) cohabit with a full grown angel and survive?

I have been researching the little guys the last year or so and one of the biggest factors stopping me from picking up a couple of them (besides transport distance which i have solved now) is this one question and i have yet to find any info anywhere, so i came here has anyone tried this mix in a well planted tank? I have lots of plants and hideaways for the puffers to explore and use and my angel is the only thing in that tank big enough to cause an issue.

Any help or pointers would as always be appreciated

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

ECAS member

I would avoid slow moving fish with large fins such as angels, gouramis etc. Slow moving bottom dwellers such as plecos also become chew toys for the puffers! The puffers themselves are best served in a species only tank with maybe a fast schooling fish such as danios / tetras / rasborra / barbs etc! It's not that the puffers are overly aggressive it all has to do with their beak, it's very sharp and powerful and generally a puffers way of exploring / testing things is usually to "bite" them! Also they will work fine In a planted tank, although you might find damaged leaves once and awhile from when the puffers grab the snails off them!

ECAS member

Yea i read thats how they explore. Lol well i haven't taken the plunge to actual live plants yet so my tanks are well planted with fake plants so i don't have much worry about damaged leaves

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

ECAS member

I'd have to agree with Siluriforme.Not the best fish for a community tank.
    I like discus cause discus like me.