Thread: using Amazon LED for new fish tank setup

ECAS member

using Amazon LED for new fish tank setup

i saw Joey use these and i will soon be getting one of the PU stack for my and i was thinking of ways to reduce the power consumption with using one of these for each level. thoughts?

https://www.amazon.ca/Goalsun-Securi...led+floodlight

here is his video:

ECAS member

I'm also very interested in these lights. I'd love to get a couple for my 55G. Might grab one for my 30 and see how it goes.

ECAS member

LEDs are getting so inexpensive now. It used to be that you had to design your own setup to get a good cost on LED lamp setups for aquariums. Now you can buy good inexpensive LED products right off the shelf. I was looking at these myself, but since I needed about 8 of them (maybe even more due to the angle of dispersion), to achieve the right amount of light to grow plants , it would make the top of my tank a bit crowded.

They are flood lights and not spot lights, so you will lose some light that will get shot to the side and not into the water. That will reduce the actual measured lux value at the top of the water and deeper in the water. If you are using the lamps for a planted tank, try to get a spot light rather than a flood light, so you get better use of the generated light. If you are looking for growing plants, a value of 22 lux should be achieved at the surface for plants requiring a moderate light level. Thats about 14000 lumens directed onto the surface of the water of a 55 gallon tank. For a flood light where some of the light is lost, then the starting lumen value would be considerably higher. If you are just looking at lighting a tank for looks with no plants, then any light level that looks good will do.