Thread: 30 Gallon Planted - What Would You Do?

ECAS member

30 Gallon Planted - What Would You Do?

Hey folks,

I'm in the process of setting back up my 30 gallon. Going with a low-tech planted planted setup and wanted to get some ideas on stocking and plants. I'm still in the process of cleaning it, and I just re-caulked the corners as well as the trim.

I'm ordering some Seachem Flourite Black Sand substrate as I love the look. I also have a large piece of driftwood that I'll be placing in the tank so I'll take a picture of that after I get the substrate in.

I'm open for ordering online, but it's pretty cold in PEI so that's out of question. I'd prefer a community tank instead 1 or 2 showcase fish. Thoughts?

EDIT: I'm not nearly ready for fish, but that's all I can think about right now.

5 x Otocinclus
    15 x White Cloud Mountain Minnow
    15 x Harlequin Raspbora

Here is what we have folks.

Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by jdrobinson; 01-02-2017 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Fish

Club Supporter

Ideally I would just stick with one schooling species and an otto or two. The rasboros get a bit larger so I'd either go with white cloud minnows, neons, or possibly rummy nose teras. Also if you went with Rockwood instead of wood the water wouldn't get discolored so quickly and the tank would be lower maintenance. I think the stocking level listed would be way too much for a 30g.
    100g CA/SA Cichlids 77g Jaguar Cichlid
    40g SA Cichlids 36g Convict fry

ECAS member

Check out chilli Rasboras

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    75 Gal Planted High Tech

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Leigh Partridge Click here to enlarge
    Ideally I would just stick with one schooling species and an otto or two. The rasboros get a bit larger so I'd either go with white cloud minnows, neons, or possibly rummy nose teras. Also if you went with Rockwood instead of wood the water wouldn't get discolored so quickly and the tank would be lower maintenance. I think the stocking level listed would be way too much for a 30g.
    Thanks Leigh, I'll check into the Rockwood. I think the Harlequins can grow to about 2", I'm not worried about a bit of overstocking as I do pretty frequent water changes, but I'd hate to stunt anything from growing to full maturity; I'll take a look at the stocking. I think I'm moving away from the minnows anyway.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dougomac Click here to enlarge
    Check out chilli Rasboras

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    Wow. Those are beautiful too. I haven't known much about Rasboras until now and I'm really starting to like them.

Club Supporter

Oops I meant to write rock work not Rockwood. Porous rocks usually look nice when aquascaping.
    100g CA/SA Cichlids 77g Jaguar Cichlid
    40g SA Cichlids 36g Convict fry

ECAS member

Hi there.I like your choice on the harlequins.About ten would look nice and you may also like to add a pair of small cichlids or something else in the future.Ottos do better in a mature tank,so I'd wait off on those for a bit.
    I like discus cause discus like me.

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Leigh Partridge Click here to enlarge
    Oops I meant to write rock work not Rockwood. Porous rocks usually look nice when aquascaping.
    That makes a little more sense to me :D. I'm going looking for some nice rocks, we'll see what I come up with.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blue lagoon Click here to enlarge
    Hi there.I like your choice on the harlequins.About ten would look nice and you may also like to add a pair of small cichlids or something else in the future.Ottos do better in a mature tank,so I'd wait off on those for a bit.
    I read that about Oto's, I'll delay on those. I hadn't intended to add anything more then schooling fish but I think I'm going to swap this tank out with a 55g, so I think that'll look nice.

ECAS member

Slight change of plan. Decided to swap out with my 55G to give me a lot more space.