Thread: General shrimp keeping question!

ECAS member

General shrimp keeping question!

So I have 16 Red Cherry Shrimp in a community tank with Honey Gouramis (2), Mickey Mouse Platys (4) and Ember Tetras (12). I would say it is about 50 percent planted, but mostly comprised of a densely packed group of java fern on a piece of driftwood. Most of the plants are in the water column. There are also low light plants actually in the substrate, but they are quite small, and there is no carpet. I've had the shrimp in the tank since Dec 28th, and the last actual fish addition was on Dec 5th (the gouramis). Water has been stable almost since it was cycled with: PH 7.2, ammonia and nitrites 0, nitrates 5. Temp 26.2.

Question number 1: I noticed a berried female on Jan 5th. Is there a chance the shrimplets will survive into adulthood with the current cover available or is it a lost cause?

Question number 2: Can I assume this "pregnancy" occurred in my tank? There were no berried shrimp when I introduced them (I specifically looked for that), and I would say half of the shrimp were very young.

Question number 3: Can any other type of shrimp be added to this community or am I risking crossbreeding and ending up with a blast ended screwt?

Question number 4: Do the colors of the shrimp change as they mature?

Thanks.

PS: I tried to post a picture of the tank, but can't seem to get it to work for some reason.

ECAS member

Figured out how to post pictures. Here is the picture of my tank from last night.

[IMG]Click here to enlarge[/IMG]

ECAS member

Anybody?

Club Supporter

My personal experiences with shrimp always involve a fork, so I will have to sit this one out. ;) yum

The plants and tank look great though. . .
    100g CA/SA Cichlids 77g Jaguar Cichlid
    40g SA Cichlids 36g Convict fry

ECAS member

I'm with you there, sister! Unfortunately, these shrimp are so small, you'd never taste them! They won't be going on my plate anytime soon. For my fish however, only time will tell! ;-)

ECAS member

Accidentally double posted. My apologies. ;-)

Club Supporter

Nice tank :)

With the amount of plant cover you may have some shrimplets survive with some luck. Yes the shrimp would have become berried in that tank. Adding other types of cherry shrimp will eventually result in cross breeding which over time results in wild ( plain ) colored shrimp. And yes as they mature their colors tend to show more. From my knowledge of regular cherries, the females show more red coloration than the males, which tend to stay duller.

Hope this helps some :)