Thread: Mickey Mouse Platy issue

ECAS member

Mickey Mouse Platy issue

Hi,

I bought 4 Mickey Mouse Platy fry and 12 Ember Tetras on Nov 28th to put into my community tank. I added 2 Honey Gouramis on Dec 5th, and Shrimp on Dec 28th. I've had no issue so far. The fist were all purchased from a LFS and the shrimp from a local breeder in Halifax. All the fish have grown (a lot) except for one... One of the Mickey Mouse Platys is about 1/4 of the size of the others, maybe less. Keep in mind they came from the same "breeder" before they ended up at the LFS, so I would assume they are the same age... The one that is visibly smaller also looks a little deformed. Color is good, very active and he eats. He doesn't appear to get picked on and/or harassed by the other fish. It looks like he has a curve to starboard in his spine, and he looks a little like a tadpole as his tail end (behind the curve) looks thinner than his body.And he has no legs, so it's not an oddly colored tadpole ;-). No other fish, including the other platys, are exhibiting any problems.

They have never been fed live food (with me), water change (20 to 30%) per week, and parameters have always been stable. (temp 26.2, PH 7.2, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 5)

Any ideas?

Super Moderator Chopper Challenge Champion

ECAS member

No, he looks fine from the side. It's really when looking at him from above that the kink becomes apparent. He does swim in all directions (ie not limited to turning in one direction). And he is significantly smaller than the other ones. He's no bigger than the male Embers, whereas the other platys are almost as long as the gouramis.

I'm ok if he's just deformed. He just looks a little quirky. I just don't want him to suffer, and if he does have a disease, for him to spread it to the other animals.

Super Moderator Chopper Challenge Champion

Post some pics if you can

ECAS member

I tried to take pictures last night but my phone doesn't take very good pictures, and he's a fast little bugger. Not a good combination. I'll remove him from the tank tonight after work and put him in something smaller to see if it will help him strike a pose. I'll also need to figure out how to post pictures. I hit that snag last night!

Let's see if this works!

Click here to enlarge

Success... It's really hard to see. Hard to zoom in before he's gone again! The dark colored blob is the platy in question. I've just named him Kink! You can barely see it, but it looks like the curve you get when your nose has been broken and not fixed properly. And I guess he's bent on the port side, not starboard! Or is that because of the shot? Anyway... I can try to get a better picture tonight.

ECAS member

I'm thinking scoliosis or a balloon platy.You'll need to upload to photo bucket or some other pic hosting site to get them on here.
    I like discus cause discus like me.

ECAS member

Well, in no way am I an expert, but from what I was told, the platy fry the LFS received was from someone local whose fish reproduced. I don't think it was from a registered breeder or importer as such. Unless the female was walking out on her male, I'd expect they would all have the same father! They did look identical when I got them, and other than the fact he's crooked and hasn't grown as much as the others (although he has grown since I got him), he has the same coloring as them.
    I can live with scoliosis. I was just concerned about diseases.

ECAS member

As previously mentionned,here are more pics. Still a little blurry, he just wouldn't stop moving!

The first pic shows a profile. His color is good, no bumps or spots, scales appear smooth. Body shape appears normal. Fins and tail appear unblemished and in good shape.

[IM
    G]Click here to enlarge[/IMG]

the next few pictures (attempt) to show the kink.

[IMG]Click here to enlarge[/IMG]

Thank you for any assistance.

ECAS member

Scoliosis.
    I like discus cause discus like me.