Thread: New SunSun 303B

ECAS member

New SunSun 303B

Hi. I almost never post. I needed to replace a HOB filter, and opted to try the SunSun line. I did some digging through Amazon and eBay, and found a dealer on eBay that sells them without, and for a few dollars more, with media. It arrived today:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Read the wordage on it.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    The manual is written a lot better. Not great, but better.

Click here to enlarge
    Here it is, in all it's glory. It's about as tall as a 5 gallon bucket.

Click here to enlarge
    it has 4 clamps to hold the lid down. two on the casing side, two on the top. When this thing goes together, you have to push the top down fairly confidently and then clamp it.

Click here to enlarge
    Casing side clamps, they offer a lot of surface area.

Click here to enlarge
    The media! it came with 3 polishing pads, a blue coarse filter pad, bio balls, ceramic and activated carbon. I only used the blue pad.

Click here to enlarge
    The case candy. Well packaged.

Click here to enlarge
    Unpacked. This is where the savings come into play. All the parts are soft plastic - the kind that when bent turns white. The inside diameter of all the parts is smaller than what I would expect. The standoffs for the suction cups are flimsy, and some of the parts don't fit together too tightly. I doubt these will last long with the oscar. I also suspect that i'll get some cavitation and eventual hose collapse. I have to start looking for better parts, or an epoxy to stiffen everything up.

Click here to enlarge
    Here's a cool part. A surface Skimmer!

Click here to enlarge
    The business end. The UV light is in a glass tube. I'm sure it's tempered or some sort of shock resistant compound.

Click here to enlarge
    Hoses are in a hot bath to get them straight and pliable for fitting insertion.

Click here to enlarge
    The black pad is a new 30ppi pad for an XP series filter. The 303B has a lot more surface area and volume.

Click here to enlarge
    Carefully and accurately notched it to fit in the 303B basket. (joke, I spent 10 seconds cutting it with a blade)

Click here to enlarge
    Tada!

Click here to enlarge
    This is the down spout in the basket. They all stack together and the light is fitted inside. Note the spiral ramp inside. It's probably to venturi or vortex the water to assure the light hits it (meh, 9w light ain't gunna do too much).

Click here to enlarge
    Ball valve clamp. Nothing exciting about this. Basically the same as what is on an XP filter, but a different shape.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Impeller. It's fairly big. I had a hard time pulling this out. Ceramic magnets can only be so strong, so I suspect there is quite a hefty one inside the head unit.

Click here to enlarge
    There are two things to note in this picture. One, the standoffs. They hold the baskets up about half an inch to let the inbound water in, then it's pumped up through the media. Two; The "Intake Water Level" Sticker. That shouldn't have been there. It was a plastic sticker, so came off well. Overall the casing is thick and sturdy plastic. It's softer than what you would see in the Aquaclear HOB or XP filters. Maybe it's close to the Fluval canister plastic. I've not used those so I can't compare. Regardless, it's heavy duty.

Click here to enlarge
    Another thing to note are the small rubber feet. I would expect more as they help reduce vibra

Click here to enlarge
    I cut about a foot off of both hoses, and they're still about 6 inches too long. I want them long enough to be able to take the filter out of the stand and still run, but short enough not to kink. I'll chop more off in a few days, once i'm positive it's in it's final placement.

Click here to enlarge
    I had a hard time getting the spraybar on the way I like. It seems a straight piece as outlined on the box was replaced by an elbow.

Overall, it's bigger than it's comparable XP3. I've not used the JBJ that it's copying, but I imagine they share some parts. It's just as quiet as the my XP3. It needed a cleaning to take off some of the lubrication that rubbed off from seals and manufacturing dust/debris.

The big glaring negative is the accessory kit. I'll find better parts soon.

Setup is pretty straight forward. Fill it with water and then press the prime button to fill the hoses, then plug it in.

Super Moderator Chopper Challenge Champion

I have looked at these a few times but never took the jump. Keep us updated.

ECAS member

How are you liking it so far? I have the same one on my discus tank and I love it. I wanted a 2nd canister but didn't want to shell out the $$ for another API. I am very impressed with the performance so far (had it for over a year now). Easy to setup and easy to clean. Also a lot easier to prime if you have to disconnect it completely. The only thing I had to tweak with mine is during the initial setup I noticed air was getting into the input pipe where the pieces connect. All I had to do was super glue the connection together and the issue was resolved.
    108g Planted - Discus, Royal Plec, Featherfin Syndos
    5.5g planted - Assorted shrimp

ECAS member

It's alright so far. I'll know more once I get home from work tonight and see if the fish got in a fight with the piping. I'm also planning on checking the sponges to see how much they caught so far, do a water change tonight, then see how well it works for a week with the UV light.

ECAS member

I don't use the UV light... but I use the bio media it came with. Have one basket of Matrix media as well the stuff that came with it. The other two baskets have polyester fill. :)
    108g Planted - Discus, Royal Plec, Featherfin Syndos
    5.5g planted - Assorted shrimp