Thread: New Betta question

ECAS member

New Betta question

So I have an issue (maybe) with a new betta I bought on Saturday night, Feb 4th. He was feisty in his cup, flaring his fins and he looked really healthy, so I took him home. I had a cycled tank, ready to go. He seemed to enjoy his tank once I adjusted the flow from the filter. I did not attempt to feed him that night as we didn't get home until 9pm. The next day, I fed him 2 betta pellets. I watched him as he took one pellet and promptly spit it out.
    He's alone in a 5.5 gallon planted tank, with driftwood and lots of hiding/resting spots, and has already built an extensive bubble nest. I contacted the LFS to find out what brand of food they used, and bought that. Still only spits it out. I tried shutting down the filter so there is no flow in the tank while I feed him, and no result.. He takes the pellets in (usually just one) and spits it out immediately, then ignores the others. Eventually, they sink! I even tried regular flakes in case he's just weird, and nothing... He's still actively swimming around and working on his bubble nest. Any ideas?

ECAS member

When I got mine home last week, she took a few days to adjust before she ate anything, she'd do the same thing, mouth it and spit it out. After that she'll eat anything that's put in front of her from flakes to pellets, to guppy fry that are caught unaware of the danger behind them.

ECAS member

If you are using the pellets try crushing them first. I had to do this with my Betta he spits them out too but will eat them if they are broken smaller. When he got bigger I didn't have to do it anymore, if that doesn't work then I would offer flakes. My Betta loves flakes.

ECAS member

It is not too unusual for a new fish to take a couple of days and adjust to its surroundings before eating, but i have never had one fast for 5 days. You may want to try some freeze-dried bloodworms if it hasn't eaten anything by now. I have never seen a betta that did not love them. It's a good idea to supplement a betta's regular diet with some worms every now and then anyway. Best of luck.