Thread: Fluval Edge 6 Gallon

ECAS member

Sucess!
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Super Moderator Chopper Challenge Champion

Congrats!

ECAS member

Now I just need to order the top trim and I'll be rockin. I even found a replacement for my bowing 29G, and a home for the piranha, I'm on a roll today!

ECAS member

Nice job. I have the 12gal version of the Edge. The tank has never been used, but the light was swapped out and it doesn't work at all. Its not the same light you have. Mine is the one with the strip of LEDs. There is obviously a design flaw since the moisture from the tank has caused the LEDs to rust. :(

I don't trust myself to wire something up... any suggestions?
    108g Planted - Discus, Royal Plec, Featherfin Syndos
    5.5g planted - Assorted shrimp

On a fun note, when I had mine, the light didn't work either. So it went to the garbage and I got a replacement.

ECAS member

What did you use? or did you just get a replacement from Fluval? The replacement lights through them are too expensive in my opinion. But I'd love to find something that will fit and allow me to still use the trim.

ECAS member

For the LED's I don't know what to suggest if you don't trust your wiring skills. What I would do is find an LED strip that fits into the lamp and epoxy or velcro the back to the lamp housing and then splice the wiring into the existing lamp wiring. With LEDs the polarity is critical though because they are diodes and will only allow current one direction. To replace the LEDs with halogen bulbs like the older type you'd need to transformer to reduce voltage from 120v down to 12v. There definitely is a design flaw with these aquariums, I'm likely going to build an acrylic shield to keep splash down off of the lamps, no doubt that caused the failure of A: the sockets, B: the switch and C: the green death in the wiring. Knowing it's limitations though I still think I can make this a decent shrimp tank, with black gravel and medium density planting.

I used a desk lamp haha

ECAS member

Desk lamp works for me. I used an LED desk lamp with a clip on the end to light up my discus quarantine / grow out tank. I guess I need to start shopping around for one to fit the edge. And as far as stocking, I think shrimp are the way to go with these tanks. Best o keep it light for cleanup.

ECAS member

And the money shot, just set it up this morning. I used 50 percent of the old tank water and cut the AC30 filter media to fit into the AC20, transferred the intake sponge/ shrimp feeding station and all the plants into the new black gravel. The plants are all very small because they are offshoots from the 29G. Don't mind the baby pleco in there, that's very temporary until I find it an appropriate home.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12