Thread: Intro

ECAS member

Intro

My daughter got a 10g recently. I worked with her to get it setup and helped her research it. Well, its safe to say I got bit by the bug. She has a nicely cycled and stable 10g with some guppies as of now. I bought myself a 36g bowfront off kijiji and I am in the process of cycling it. With the help of some ammonia and a bit of media from her tank, I am hoping for a quicker cycle. Have plans for some rummy nose tetras and corydoras for the 36g. Its a low tech planted tank with some S. Repens an Amazon Swords planted, along with some spider wood and maponi wood.

I live outside Halifax. I found this site through google, as I am an exhaustive researcher once I am interested in something.

Super Moderator Chopper Challenge Champion

Awesome and welcome to the forum. Post some pics when you can.

ECAS member

Day one
    Click here to enlarge

Today (2 weeks about)

Click here to enlarge

I had to pull the mopani wood and put it in a bucket because its leeching crazy amount of tannins. I have tannins in my well water, which I used for my first fill, and its been a losing battle on removing it. I fixed up my RO system so will be using that going forward. To bad its so slow to get any amount from. Takes me 2 days of draining a gallon at a time and putting it in some water bottles. I added a Fluval 206 filter, and I am running the fluval C3 HOB it came with. It's processing ammonia really well, but still behind on nitrites. I do have a ton of nitrates so its working, just needs to grow more BB.

My stocking plans are based on a month or more of research. I originally wanted cichlids, but after taking a close look at my soft tannic water, i decided to do a nice peaceful, low stress community tropical tank. AQAdvisor was very helpful in figuring out my stock plans. i am still trying to choose between the rummy nose and the serpae tetras. I may get both, but I think I would prefer a larger group of one tetra species.

2 x Amano Shrimp (Cardina multidentata)[/COLOR]
    8 x Rummynose Tetra (Hemigrammus bleheri)[/COLOR]
    8 x Serpae Tetra (Hyphessobrycon eques)[/COLOR]
    2 x German Blue Ram (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi)[/COLOR]
    8 x Panda Cory (Corydoras panda)[/COLOR]

Super Moderator Chopper Challenge Champion

I add driftwood to get the tannins

Club Supporter

Looks like it's coming along rather well for you. If you are still in the planning stage I would probably cut the amount of corys down to half and only go with either 8 of the rummy nose or the serpae tetras. If not it'll probably be a bit crowded.
    100g CA/SA Cichlids 77g Jaguar Cichlid
    40g SA Cichlids 36g Convict fry

ECAS member

I have read that corydora's are shoaling and small groups are not a good idea. 6 tends to be the minimum recommended by many sources. I have been using aqadvisor to work on my stocking list. I will likely go with only one of the tetra species. I still have some time to learn and research so by the time I am ready to start introducing some fish, I will be making solid choices. Still waiting to see what my water parameters are going to be like once stabilized as well. My ph has been fluctuating from 6.0 to 7.4. My stock list was based on an 6.5 ish ph.

Owner

How is the tank coming along? Would love an update!
    ..` A woman needs a man like a fish needs a net. ..`